AsteroidDB - Simple but Powerful Database Service for your apps

“Your app can be found at https://(yourapp).herokuapp.com” is the right one.

For example:
https://asteroiddb.herokuapp.com

You can also check your AsteroidDB instance by going to URL in your browser if it is working perfectly.

1 Like

Wonderful! It’s already working!
So, when I set a password, do I use the obfuscate text block to prevent someone from getting it?
Is there any other method? Sorry if these questions are too basic, but I never used any online storage component before.

2 Likes

Thanks for trying it! :grin:

No of course! When we talk about the learning, no any question is too basic to me.

You can use Obfuscate block, but as in the block description it is low security level protection. Maybe you can pull the password from another place, encrypt the password etc.

3 Likes

… or to even store other file types as a string:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!searchin/mitappinventortest/Juan$20Base64|sort:date/mitappinventortest/L6B-8ea9gw4/PleqH20_AQAJ

3 Likes

Is this coming soon ?

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

I current don’t have a tutorial for that, however as AsteroidDB is written in Python, it should available in most cloud platforms which supports installing Python, Postgres, Flask and other packages which can be found in this file.

But I will write a tutorial anyway soon.

1 Like

Storage size?

2 Likes

Storage size is based on which platform you install AsteroidDB on.

Heroku’s free plan offers 10.000 rows. If you select basic plan it gives 10.000.000 rows for 9$/monthly. I think it is enough for basic applications. However if you have own Python server, you can install AsteroidDB on it.

2 Likes

According to this you get 10.000.000 rows for 9$/month. Is this true or am I looking at the wrong place?

1 Like

Sorry I said it wrong, I edited my post. I think I have problems about English numbers :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well, I think it would be better if they displayed the whole number with all the 000. It would be more clear at first glance. Nonetheless, depending on the use, I think 9$/month for 10.000.000 rows is a very decent price.

1 Like

Another newbie question here:
After I retrieve all the data with the GetData block, how do I address each individual tag inside the result text?

3 Likes

GetData blocks returns an list of pairs which first item is tag and second item its value.

From AsteroidDB Docs:

Example:
((fruit Apple) (message Hi) (coins 1000))

Use ParseResult block to convert JSONArray to App Inventor compatible list by connecting result parameter which coming from OnSuccess event to the result socket.

To get tag of the pairs, select first item. To get the value of the pairs, select second item.

However if you only want to get all tags instead of getting their values too, you can use GetAll / Get tags block.

4 Likes

Excellent, thanks for the detailed explanations!

4 Likes

I’ve been checking Heroku but I can’t find a page to browse the content of my database, is that possible? Kinda like phpMyAdmin?

2 Likes

Heroku doesn’t offer seeing your database records direclty from your dashboard. I don’t know why. There are some external services which allows to see your data. For example you can use Heroku Data Explorer for a while.

I said “a while” because I’m working on a web editor already. :grin: I just need add a login method to the connect the database, and it will be done.

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like