Google Play Console requestLegacyExternalStorage

… and not for the app developer either.

So again:

2 Likes

And for the last time: There is NO problem (at least as long as Kodular is targeting API 29).

Summary

4 Likes

@bodymindpower thank you so much for letting us know that we don’t have to panic and just relax because we are using API 29. Thanks once again, you are the best

5 Likes

Exactly:exclamation:

2 Likes

To take it account:
Requirements for updates to existing apps

From November 2021 , updates to existing apps will be required to target API level 30 or above and adjust for behavioral changes in Android 11. Existing apps that are not receiving updates are unaffected and can continue to be downloaded from the Play Store.

This is known and has already been communicated e.g. here:

My application doesn’t need to access storage on the customer’s phone, can I edit MANIFEST through Kodular?

Is it possible to edit the manifest through Kodular?

No, and there is no reason at all for that.

We can’t ignore it, because in all cases kodular continue to make unnecessary permissions in the manifest file, i don’t know why!
For example, try to create a new project and use just a simple button in your screen, then try to export the apk and look in the manifest file (with apk editor) , you’ll find WRITE permission and externalLegacyStorage, …! Even with API 30 , google will ask you: why you keep this Legacy in your manifest? For what?
And of course, because we can’t remove unnecessary permission that kodular makes :weary:

No, even if you make a simple button in your project you will find this Legacy in the manifest , pfffff !

Today i tried to look for that, i created a new project in kodular, i used only a simple button in the screen without any component,
The surprise !!! When i opened the apk with apk efitor i found “externalLegacyStorage” in the manifest !!! But why ?
I found also a WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission !!!
A lot of permissions just for a simple button?
Kodular has to fix this problem.

• No, WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission is NOT declared in the Manifest of an empty project (with only one button).
  • Yes, android:requestLegacyExternalStorage="true" is declared in the Manifest of each project, as I already said here:

To prevent access problems to the external storage with Android 11 devices.
As I already said (→ #15): targetSdkVersion = 29: requestLegacyExternalStorage → works.

No !!!

No, only these:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"/>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE"/>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_WIFI_STATE"/>

and these (non-dangerous permissions) are always declared.

No.

5 Likes

please tell clearly what i should do ?

Nothing…

(as of now )

Bored Nothing GIF

3 Likes

then when we will update our app?

I think everything necessary on this topic has already been said.

2 Likes

Some times you require the permission even just for a simple button if you’re using the “background-image” block or the “image” block of the button.

Just relax and do nothing.

1 Like

Setting a background image does not require the READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission, they image would be read from assets.

I have never used that feature. but, what if you set the image from external storage?

I don’t think thats possible.