[Private BETA] Rapid - Create Extensions Using Blocks!

Have you ever had an idea for an extension but weren’t able to create it because you don’t know how to write with high-level languages such as Java or Kotlin and have only programmed using blocks? Rapid is your solution!
Rapid is an online extension building platform that enables you to create extensions for AI2 and its distribution using coding blocks and simplifies the process of building extensions, even if you don’t have coding experience except in blockly-based programs such as AI2.
Using Rapid, you have access to all Android, App Inventor, Java, and even 3rd party JAR files within blocks. Enabling you to implement almost all of the features that are supported for extensions written in Java. You also have an interface that would help you manage all the different metadata, manifest elements, and information about your extension.

Why Use Rapid?

Rapid provides you with many features that would help you develop extensions more efficiently, whether you are an extension developer or not.

• Blocks Based Coding which is trans-piled directly into Java code.
  • A fast and optimized compiler that builds your extension in seconds.
  • A neat and customizable user interface that makes it easier to manage your extensions
  • Support for External Android, App Inventor, and JAR libraries.
  • Proguard and protection of your extension
  • Brief explanation of each java error including exact steps to solve it.
  • Warnings on block editor for combinations that could result in errors ( ex.: Functions without a return value)
  • Auto Fixing for errors in code ( attempting to typecast types where one of them is a subclass of the other under the hood, inferring types of variables, and so on…)
  • And much more…!

Examples

A very simple extension to add two numbers:
An example to create a TextView (Label) in a layout:

( You don’t need to understand every block function, for now, they will be briefly documented on release to be more understandable and to provide basics for new users ( ex.: contexts, extension containers, and views )

Beta Testing

To provide Rapid as a more stable tool. I decided not to launch Rapid directly, but release a private beta version first, which would be tested by the community members to help find bugs, and errors and suggest new features.
Everyone in the community is welcome to help with beta testing (whether you are an extension developer or not ).
To enroll in the Rapid’s private beta testing, please submit here
Registration will be closed on 2022-09-23T16:00:00Z
Thanks in advance to anyone who joins private beta testing. It’s much appreciated.
Cheers,
Mohamed Tamer

41 Likes

Really very very useful tool, i am excited to test it :heart:

2 Likes

This sounds awesome. If it really does work, then depending on what kinds of extensions you can make, it could be a game changer.

7 Likes

Thanks @mahmoud_hooda and @deanart2012 !

Since Rapid inherits all the functionalities available for extension developers, so, In theory, you should be able to create any type of extensions ( ex.: UI extensions, extensions that uses Android APIs of external libraries, etc…)

8 Likes

Never thought of this :heart_eyes:

Amazing work @Mohamed_Tamer

2 Likes

Wow!!! Weldone @Mohamed_Tamer

That was a milestone among all the extension…

Mindblowing…

Quit amazing How you the people thinking in this way???

Superb yaar!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

4 Likes

Is rapid an online tool?

1 Like

Thanks @Still-learning and @Akshat_Rana !

Yes, but it’s not released publicly yet. You could join the beta testing program to try it and report bugs/suggestions;

1 Like

I am mobile user so can i test ?

1 Like

As Rapid is an online website. So it works fine on mobiles. Although it’s not optimized for mobile phones, but if your screen is wide enough. It should work.

2 Likes

Thanks you so much ! Now I could develop my own extensions , really amazing tool

2 Likes

Thanks for every one who have enrolled for the beta testing program!
I have extended the end of submission date to : 2022-09-22T22:00:00Z
To enroll, please click here;

6 Likes

Wow! Great work @Mohamed_Tamer :heart:

1 Like

great job. I’m looking forward to testing

1 Like

Excelent idea. This will be a milestone in the community.

3 Likes

woow :star_struck: this is mind blowing, great job you have here :clap:

2 Likes

This is really cool​:star_struck:

2 Likes

Wow .
Excelent @Mohamed_Tamer

3 Likes

Great work.

1 Like

Hello everyone,
Thanks for everyone who has enrolled to beta testing. I appreciate everyone who have enrolled and it would be a pleasure to work with you to make Rapid a better and more stable platform!
The enrollment form has been closed.
Most people voted for Telegram as the platform to host beta testing on. Although many voted discord as well. So I decided to create both Telegram and discord group so that it is easy for everyone one to choose their favourite platform.
If none of discord or telegram suits you. Please PM me here and you would be able to help beta testing through the community ( although it’s best to use the telegram/discord group as long as it’s possible).
Emails will be sent tomorrow containing the discord server / Telegram group link.

11 Likes