Sizing Problem on Different Resolutions

Thanks For Testing the App out. Really Appreciate it !

i have same problem, on my device (where i also use to live test) is working perfectly but on my friend devices the text is not displaying properly( like only half of the length are displayed). i just set the font size to 15% and bold. i also tried using @Taifun system extension but didn’t work. @Kodular please look into this.

my device is Xiaomi redmi 6 pro 1080x2280 px

and tested on mi note 4 1080x1920 px

Try this one FontSize.apk (4.1 MB) and try to change size of the font in device settings and zoom as well.

Report back what you get for results.

Should look like this on all phones regardless what you change in device settings.

/Boban

Thanks @Boban, your apk works perfectly on me. Can you elaborate how to make the texts more responsive on different devices? My work always goes worst only with this issue.

It’s hard to explain but I can only say that I rarely use percentage to scale my components, since I know if I put 120px with some calculation how it will look on other devices.

a magic number 360 that I use.

/Boban

1 Like

Which calculation do you use?
The problem is… AI uses no calculation for the font size.

Means we have to add it.

@Mika please explain me how to create responsive text. I’m very disappointed coz my app looks great only on my phone :pray:

1 Like

I believe it does however that’s something we don’t see, since font are in sp and uses same calculation as for dp but with an exception for sp which has Scale-independent Pixels.

Designer fontsize 14 --> Scale-independent Pixels 0.85 = Small, 1 = Standard, 1.15 = Large, 1.3 = Very
Tablet fontsize 14sp x density 1 = Small 11.9, Standard 14, Large 16.1, Very 18.2
Mobile fontsize 14sp x density 2 = Small 23.8, Standard 28, Large 32.2, Very 36.4
Mobile fontsize 14sp x density 3 = Small 35.7, Standard 42, Large 48.3, Very 54.6

/Boban

1 Like

Yeah but as I said before I can tell you for sure that AI and we too did not use any calculations :sweat_smile:

We have to add a calculation.
Thats why I asked you which we should add.

The “Set” Font size uses just the value which you choose.
Only the “Get” font size uses a calculation.

Iam sure we need to add a calculation to the “Set” too.

@Boban
This is what we (and AI) current use:
android - How to assign text size in sp value using java code - Stack Overflow

I am using Taifun’s extension in my APK example above, and these are the blocks.

/Boban

4 Likes

I have to insert this much blocks for making one font correctly?

Unfortunately yes, until if they implement a choice for scaling fonts in dp or sp

However, you can enhance the procedure and use any component for somewhat lesser blocks.

/Boban

1 Like

Why not create a issue on app inventor github sources and explain there the problem?

2 Likes

hi, may i have the aia of this project?

this is great actually. So, what i found is if we use the method from this video for text sizes and use percentage terms for rest of the components the problem may not occur !

I am going to do this in my app thanks for the video !

Sorry I don’t have it but you can replicate the blocks

/Boban

1 Like

thanks.
why use a clock?

An old habit but mostly because of and depending on how big and heavy your app is, the code is often executed long before your app is fully loaded and by that your app gets wrong dimensions, adding a timer with some delay makes the app have more time to calculate dimensions

/Boban

2 Likes

Why I got this error although I did your blocks using any component? …

Note this error is not shown when using companion only shown while using the saved apk