Backup discipline

For all important projects i have a folder on my hard drive where i keep all the assets and other files related to that project.

In the same folder i make regular backups of my project where i use the projectname and the current date and time, so for example.

test201908251213.aia or test-201908251213.aia

If i do a lot of work on one day and make multiple backups, which i do :grin:, i can do that easily by just adjusting the time.

If something goes wrong i can always select the aia that still worked. I get a lot of aia-files this way but better safe then sorry.

But:

• I donā€™t keep a record of what is changed in what aia.
  • I donā€™t always make a backup of those files to for instance Google Drive.

How does your backup discipline look like, maybe i can use some of your tips and tricks?

6 Likes

I export all projects .zip everytime before closing computerā€¦ Means when done work for that day I make any changes

3 Likes

Once in a while I download my projects AIAā€™s and stuff to a folder called ā€œKodular Projectsā€ as well as I upload them to my Google Drive.

3 Likes

I dont backup projects, but sometimes i export them as aia but still i have folder in which i keep my aia and assets. But i will start creating backups as security measures.

No donā€™t click below itā€™s only for peter

This week is # Peterā€™s topics, I never saw you creating topics that often.

7 Likes

I upload my release AIAs and keystore to Google Drive. It has an option to keep multiple versions, but Iā€™m only bothered with the latest one. If anything goes horribly wrong, I can revert to last release. Otherwise, I use ā€œSave Asā€ and a name like ā€œProjectName_XFeatureImplementedā€ to keep the backup until release. I also keep AIA files downloaded, although that is by no means regular. I really need better version management.

4 Likes

I also have my keystore file on Google Drive and in the root of my home folder.

1 Like

We all do. :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

@peter, I have a simple tip for u :
When u save your till date .aia file, (suppose you started a new project & u have a new folder for itā€™s assets and aia.) so, when saving your first .aia, name it to your project name.

For the second time saving that projectā€™s .aia, replace the first aia with the new one.
I do like that only to prevent mess & confusion of which aia is the latest.

Try keeping a sticky note & do the same - replace the noteā€™s text according to .aiaā€™s progress. :smile:

Try making 2 folders for the same projectā€™s aia. First folder contains the original file, & the second contains itā€™s temp copy. :blush:

Hope this helped you :smile_cat:

1 Like

I always save checkpoints before and after making changes to my apps everytime. I download the.aia to my pc.
Once in a while I download all app projects

Also whenever I want to start work to update to an existing app, I first export the apk to be two versions ahead, e.g ABC app on Playstore is version 1.1 and code 12, I will export ABC apk in version 1.3 and code 14 before I start working on the update. In case I later discover an error in app version 1.2 and code 12, I can then revert to previous app with higher version number and code in playstore.

:sweat:I hope you understandā€¦(Iā€™m OCD-ed)

1 Like

I backup with the Save-As method too. If I am working on a bigger project, I save AIAs and upload them to a custom nextcloud server. (Nextcloud is a cloud storage solution, which you can self-host)

3 Likes