Can we check internet speed ? Is there any way

I am building a project where I need to know the internet speed, when user login in my app, my app sends the data through airtable and receive the user ID … When ID is receive, user is send to another screen… to process all this i need a good internet speed, if user internet speed is slow the user ID will not be receive in time, and it will not send to another screen.

2 Likes

You can use the shell component to do a ping and maybe use that value.

Ping is the response time of your internet connection that is measured in milliseconds. Unlike Download and Upload speeds where higher value is better, for Ping the lower value, the better it is. The most important use of Ping is for online gamers who need a quick response from the servers when playing online.

2 Likes

I never try this, is there any demo or block png ???

Just start experimenting. See this topic. @juananton1991 made an extension for this but you can also use the shell component.

Here is how i used the shell component to make a calendar.

but how can i get the ping value.

What have you tried? Show the blocks you made.

i have not try because i have not understand all, I just understand that, by using shell i can go to root of the system and by using KIO4 i can use command to get the value. and can also ask permission. For ping : **ls /system/bin/ping **

Start with the calendar example to get the hang of the shell component. When you get started with that go and try the ping command as given in the topic on the App Inventor forum.

Ok i got it Little bit …ok thank you i will Try.

Try this with extension: com.KIO4_Terminal.aix

-c 1 means 1 packet

ping_T

I always try to get the user active and learning instead of giving them the solution right away. I hope that way they learn something from the process. :wink:

7 Likes

1 Like

Did some quick block building and after using this

You get just the value you can use.

1 Like

This one also works for me

I don’t think the values behind the . are usefull so you can add a round block to get an integer.

3 Likes

But @Peter I don’t want to check the ping of google, how can I check the download speed and the upload speed??

Search on Google how you can do that on a Linux command line and see if you can transfer that into blocks like i did.

Maybe you can use Api for that.

Yesterday full day i searched for api but dint get a free api

Another Google find. Google is your friend.

https://speedof.me/api.html

1 Like

I just found this

1 Like