Easy way to upgrade your app's API level - with kodular keystore

Hi, this is my first post in kodular community. I am trying to help you about Android SDK ; because many people suffers from this problem (including me also) when posting the .aab on Play Store.

1. Export the .apk file:

So, firstly what we have to do is to export the .apk of the file (we will not gonna export.aab from kodular because it will export the aab with their limited SDK … Which we are not discussing about)

1. Export the keystore file :

Now you have to go to the builder where you have created the app, and tap on the corner button (account) and select “preferences” from the drop down list.
A pop up window will open. Now you can see the keystore SHA1. ( which you use to connect your project with firebase) now, tap on the “export keystore” button, and a file will be downloaded.

1. Updating the SDK (API level change):

You have to download th apkTool M app (download links are provided at the end of this post)
And now open the apkTool m app and grant all the required permissions, then all the files and folders in your device will appear on the screen ; from where you can select the .apk file you have exported and then a drop down list will appear and from the list ; select “quick edit”.
Then a pop up window will appear. There you can modify the minimum SDK level.( I think you will not need this option because kodular already allows you to set the minimum SDK level)
So, just next to the minimum SDK level option, you will see the “target SDK” option, there you will select the latest API level (which you couldn’t do in the kodular) (e.g. if my apk in kodular is made in api level 30, I have to change it to 31 to post on playstore for now )
Then in the signature option click don’t sign (because you will sign it manually with your exported keystore file) and click “save”.
The saved .apk will appear on the files list.

1. Convert .apk to .aab for upload:

Unfortunately, Google play console now doesn’t allow you to upload apk file, you have to make a .aab file for it. So, open the apk to aab converter app ( download links are provided at the end of this post)
And select the modified apk which you have made with newer api level on apkTool and convert it to .aab (it is super easy, you have to just select the apk and write the name of the aab file and click on the convert button, so simple)

1. Add Signature to your.aab file:

Google does not allow you to upload.aab without signature, because keystore signature is your app’s identity which is very important. So you have to download the zip signer app ( download links are provided at the end of the post) and then open the app ; click on the text box “input file” and then tap on the “choose in/out” button and select the .aab file.
And now go to the corner three dots option and go to the option “my keys” and then a screen will open. From there again click on the corner three dots and select “register keystore” option and now select the keystore file (which you have exported on the step 2) and it will ask for a password; to open the keystore file , by default all the builders have set the password to “android” (all small characters, i.e. password is case sensitive) so you have to put this password and after that the keystore file will be imported.
Now go back to the page where you have already selected the import path of the .aab , there you will see the sign mode ; tap and select the option named “Androidkey” (if you have not imported the keystore file it will not show the option) and the click on “sign the file” option and the .aab will be signatured. And the signatured .aab file will appear ont he folder where the old .aab was.

Now, you are ready to go ! You can upload it to play store without any errors. :blush:

Links :link: :

Tutorial video (hindi)
Edit by mod, Please provide English speaking video.

apkTool M app :

Apk to aab converter:

Zip signer app :

5 Likes

Nice Guide

1 Like

You have uploaded an APK or Android App Bundle with an event, event alias, service, or broadcast receiver with an intent filter, but not set to “android:exported”. This file cannot be installed on Android 12 or later. Check it out at: Mudanças de comportamento: apps destinados ao Android 12  |  Android Developers

it gives this error

3 Likes

Not Working Dear. I am Try This Methode

2 Likes

so is there any other method?

The given link in this post by @Taifun have the solution of your problem.

This topic only tells to convert apk to aab and sign apk non-thing else.

There are alot of guides available in community for signing apk , aab , apk to aab , play app signing etc.

This topic is misleading the users. Builder already have target the android 11 and mostly people are here for android 12 support.

Can you explain these : -

Why we need to edit the AndroidManifest.xml for android 12 ?

Just changing the number is enough? then builder should jump to Android 12 directly.

most of things is copied from video (which is removed). As far i know the real owner is @AppHelper_Studio.

1 Like

See this thread what needs to be done

Taifun

3 Likes

We can change target sdk to 31 but what about extension?

Your question is not relevant here
See your other thread

Usually there is no need to upgrade an extension…

Taifun

Thank you for your reply but for my app imported extensions need to be updated for A12. In A11 app works fine.

Yes, I saw the whole process and so I described it, you can check out the change of Android exported = true process in @AppHelper_Studio 's second video.
Link here :
Edit by Mod: If promoting YouTube Videos, then make sure they are in English.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.