Extension to download file(s) to ASD (app-specific directory) without WRITE permission

I just thought it’s a good place to ask about it as you dealt with the similar problem. Everyone is concerned about the external storage but the internal storage is missed in action.

I know that, but what does it have to do with this topic?

A lot of things. Is there any better place to ask about the internal storage? I would like to know if internal storage extension is hard to implement or there are other circumstances why you didn’t make it.

1 Like

Yes, of course.

The assets (→ Internal Storage) are read-only.
The app package is saved in:

/data/data/<packageName>/

The only component that can write to the Private directory (→ internal storage, see here)

/data/user/0/<packageName>/files/

is the File component.
There is also no extension that does it.

1 Like

I opend my android folder today and i saw this…
I have some doubt
Will the file component and your extension still work in Android 11.

1 Like

→ Post #16

2 Likes

The content of this dir is no longer visible with Android 11+ on the device:

/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/

So also the ASD is no longer visible with Android 11+, but the dir and files are there and accessible through your app.

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Write / save in the Private dir (internal storage)

The last 10 posts were about the Private dir (internal storage), but this topic is about downloading to the ASD (→ external storage).

So I moved these posts to a new topic (“Write to Private dir”).

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Is WRITE permission needed to edit a file in the ASD?

I love this extension.
May we have more function like download to cache? or private folder?
and progress indicator telling us how much/percent downloaded?

and one more:
the new downloaded file will be renamed if same name file exist, and we don’t know what is the new name.

1 Like

2 Likes

The new Kodular update will come later this month. This will result in a number of drastic changes that affect, among other things, “Scoped storage”, AndroidX libs and Android 11 (targetSdkVersion = 30).

In this respect, all app developers who publish apps in the Play Store and all extension developers should urgently make appropriate adjustments.

Note:
The current version of this extension can no longer be used under AndroidX, but the AI2 version, which has already been adapted for AndroidX:

As soon as the Kodular update is done, I will upload the new extension.

1 Like

Hello, thanks for the Great extension.

Can I download any file without giving notification in the notification bar with this extension?

1 Like

Is there any quick method to upgrade to new extension?
Or I have to do it manually?

1 Like

:tada: :confetti_ball: :partying_face:

1 Like

Isn’t that quickly enough?

2 Likes

In my case, it will take a lot of time.
Didn’t use Dynamic component :pensive:

1 Like

Why should that take more than a few seconds?

And what does this have to do with dynamic component?

1 Like

Now, I’m not sure how to change/update extension.
How do we change/update extension?

Open your app in Kodular, click in the Designer (top left) on “Import extension”, select the new version of the extension and import it. That’s all. As I said, this only takes a few seconds.

Note: However, you can only test this after the new update has taken place and Kodular has switched to AndroidX (because now Kodular is still using the Support lib).

1 Like

Hey can you update the extension? I tried using AI2 version but did not work.