[F/OS] Recycler List View - Render larger data sets efficiently using `RecyclerView` for AppInventor & Distros

you can use either this or that

ok, thanks.

As a spreadsheet (airtable) it was very slow to load only 273 items.

I tried it on google sheet about 16500 rows
And it didn’t take long (4 seconds online ) and 0.9 mseconds in offline
It’s better than dynamic… when you reach more than 3000 rows because you will fce problem like app stop working in dynamic component extension if you use more than 3000 get all row at screen initialize

1 Like

Well FYI, it’s not the responsibility of recycler view to load your data fast from server. Recycler view’s job is to recycle your dynamic components to show the whole list data by making few components. So your apps work smooth even if it have thousands of items.

4 Likes

Tested with 1200 rows, 5 colums works very fast, took 6-7 seconds to load database

3 Likes

No way of hanging with airtable, runs as much as smoother… I just tested with 500 data’s, loads created view in less than 5 sec , upon refresh created view even more less than previous value

Just see this

Fantastic effect of Recycler View

And my blocks

Blocks used Related to spreadsheet is,

You can find the above AIA in little more easy blocks here

I increase items in the spreadsheet but increase able data does not show in the recycler view list.

airtable ? google spreadsheet ? baserow ? Please be more specific. Do you use tinyDB to store values ?

google spreadsheet

And when app initialize and call data from spreadsheet you don’t see the changes you made ?

I store data in 4 coloum Reg ID Name Phone Email
I also added Adress coloum .but adress coloum is not showning

Did you modiffied your blocks in order to show 5th column ? Did you add an extra label for example to get data ?

when I modified the block it’s solved. thanks @dora_paz

1 Like

@dora_paz
In the Project AIA , When I Search 20th item, it shows the 20th item but when I click this item, it shows position 1. why does not show position 20
RecyclerList_3.aia (124.2 KB)

The above design is outdated. Evening I will update with modified version with less blocks

1 Like

See now, blocks are almost reduced into simple one… especially creating labels and setting text on each label was did with just single procedure.

Based on this design labels will auto generate according to the col size…

RecyclerList1(1).aia (309.5 KB)

Update:

1. I have used a new of way creating labels based on gsheet col count. You no need to mention how many to create by number.

2. Also setting in text also simplified too much with this extension like this

just test it, and feel the difference

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Still-learning

1 Like

For each item in list is not Efficient for create component in container it may hang the recycler view in abb
When i used atom recycler view (made up of java) , I faced a problem of VS hanging and scroll error
So not to face the error at first sight , do create anosyrcly

You don’t need it if you set RecyclerList.Data instead of RecyclerList.count. I simply set Data to get the whole table

1 Like