How do I download to SD card?

My files are being downloaded on phone memory in Download directory. How do I download to SD card?

after download complete move files to assets or desired location

1 Like

Adapt from this for your needs App Inventor Tutorials and Examples: Webprefetch File by File | Pura Vida Apps and you will be able to download wherever you want from the start

2 Likes

There is no way to write to the removable SDcard. This is only readable.

You cannot write (move) in asset Folder, its read only.

1 Like

I’ve successfully written to the SD card. You just need to ask for the storage permission.

Of course, that’s not a problem at all, but you can’t add anything to the assets …

well, it seems to be no simple task to write something to the external sdcard…
and it depends on the Android version you are using…
see also the notes below the Copy method here App Inventor Extensions: File | Pura Vida Apps

@kendell_r you might want to start a new thread and present your solution there… so others can test your solution on other Android versions… thank you…

Taifun

Actually, maybe I got confused. It could be that my solution only worked on my device, and by now I would’ve forgotten.

You could still keep the files on phone memory but out of the Downloads folder.

What do you mean with SD card? The internal SDcard or the external (removable, micro) SDcard?
Of course, writing to the internal SDcard is not problem, if the needed permission was granted. But you cannot write to the removable (micro) SDcard (on modern Android systems). It is only readable.

Wait, your phone has an internal SD card? I’d think they have chips that work like SD cards instead. And also, what’s the point of having a read-only SD card? Can the camera app write to it?
Also, out of curiosity, what android OS do you mean by “Modern”?

1 Like

see eg here:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60190026

for more details see here:

I guess so too… you were talking about the internal sdcard…
Taifun

I mean, it doesn’t make sense to use an SD card.

For a better (deeper) understanding, read this:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.