How will the visually impaired use kodular

Why not use a screen reader chrome extension??

Welcome.
The problem is not just reading the screen. With NVDA he can read.

What I mean here is can visually impaired people develop their own software or not? that includes websites, mobile apps, pc apps,… I know it’s going to be hard but it’s probably going to be hard to believe. I need an explanation to explain how blind people can code without looking at the screen. Game development, software development in general is very difficult for the blind and I really can’t figure out what to do with those lines of code. I tried with chrome os but it’s not ok with kodular because i prefer to use NVDA on windows because it supports Vietnamese language as well as accessibility would be better. Testing the application on the emulator is also a problem when talkback is not integrated into it. I contacted google to resolve this issue. You can imagine that react native will be good when it supports the visually impaired to access through the graphical interface instead of the command line interface. Because if the accessibility API components are integrated, NVDA will be better supported. You see, WordPress did a great job in their role, but they weren’t free to customize to their liking. This is a limitation but kodular will be the solution to it. I need a more reasonable answer. I look forward to your positive feedback in this matter so that it can be better resolved.

You know, I’m visually impaired myself, so accessibility and assistive technology are very important to me because it helps me to use technology devices better, it helps me take control of my life, It helps me do what I like,… especially a screen reader, which can help me see what’s displayed on the screen and read that content. At the same time, I myself need it to check its compatibility, accessibility with products. From there, help improve them to create all conditions for people with disabilities to be able to use them more easily. Reduce barriers to disability around the world. Kodular is a great tool to help me complete a project without requiring any expertise. I think it would be good to have a common standard of access to technology for the visually impaired. In NVDA there is a feature that helps to read the content of the mouse pointer, which is Mouse tracking, this is what helps people with low vision to use the computer, but for those who have completely lost their vision, it is not easy. at all, since everything has to be interactive via the keyboard. I have to admit that kodular is a great environment for developers. In order for them to be able to make their ideas a reality, everything has to be approached unobtrusively and it will be used with screen readers like NVDA, jaws,… I find this necessary to bring them to life. equal rights for all. I think it would be better that the blocks would be accessible to the visually impaired and always compatible with screen readers. However, up to now, there is no solution to do this. You see, the problem I am talking about here is how to make the screen reader work with kodular and the visually impaired can take advantage of it in their projects. I want to do independent application development and I need to do it now so that everything will not be delayed. I know accessibility won’t be possible but anyway any issues need to be addressed in the future.

I also understand that well and I know that kodular will soon improve in accessibility, soon be compatible with assistive technology services, can help the blind to use better through the Specialized screen reader software. I know In the US, AUSTRALIA, UK, … are very interested in the blind. THEY encourage and create conditions for visually impaired people to develop equally as many other people and I really appreciate that. Helping visually impaired people to express their abilities and soon integrate into the community. They prioritize programming training for the blind, orienting them to create their own products and from there, they confidently code without any barriers. You see, the demand for human resources for the information technology industry is very high and outsourcing requires a lot of time. However, for an application to quickly keep up with the release schedule, a good tool is required. That said, kodular is important to everyone. So I needed inclusion, I needed accessibility to get things done. You see, although I’m Vietnamese, so I have the same thought as you guys in this world that I really don’t have much sympathy for the Chinese because they’re not friendly, but I have to admit one thing. The thing is that they have a lot of potential in this industry, in China there is a technology startup owned by the blind and the CEO and staff are also blind. I really admire you, I only regret that we don’t have such a company in Vietnam. This hinders the process of global integration. So I need a solution to make accessibility services work with kodular. I hope you will understand how bad everything is for the blind, everything is completely isolated. I believe, kodular will be a good platform for everyone no matter who. I hope what I share will satisfy you.

I think, kodular should extend user object. Allows amateur and professional developers to communicate with each other. At the same time, making it easier for people to understand each other and work together. Here I encourage teamwork. I want it to have unlimited advanced features including accessibility and be able to extract source code for sharing, integrated description of block content so that the visually impaired can recognize them. I need high customization. Diverse features. I know this is difficult but I hope the problem will be solved in the next update of kodular. It is very difficult for screen readers to see what kodular is displaying, so you need to customize and change a few things to make it as suitable for the visually impaired as possible. I hope this project will attract visually impaired developers to participate.

I think thunkable is a perfect match when it comes to designing applications that run on two platforms. However, designing the user interface for the visually impaired is very difficult because the screen reader itself cannot read the content of those elements. So I think it’s necessary to have a description of these elements so that the screen reader can more easily read it. At the same time, helping visually impaired people can actively familiarize themselves with it in the future. I find accessibility attributes very important because they make apps easily accessible and these can help developers better shape their products. To provide customers with a great experience. I know, accessibility functions need to be added in kodular and it added something related to text to speech. I think applications like interpreters, virtual assistants, assistive technologies for the blind, audio games, etc. need accessibility properties and text to speech tools integrated into kodular. everything will be tweaked to be more suitable for everyone. I need a developer consensus on adding being able to allow users to label components so talkbacks are recognizable and I think need to add or remove gestures and shortcuts for that app . This will be favorable for mobile game development. I need a solution to confirm that the visually impaired can master the kodular platform at this time. I hope you will agree with my opinion.

I want to make an application without looking at the screen, I want to put more effort into bringing block programming to the visually impaired but that is very difficult. However, I’m looking forward to the development of kodular and I hope it becomes more accessible. On the occasion of Universal Accessibility Awareness Day, I wish you every success in improving accessibility and helping to bring the blind to block programming, helping to enhance assistive technology for the near future. . I believe, no code and low code will be the main thing to help blind people start with thinking, start with learning to code.

I think adding aria components to kodular is the best.

Currently, design templates are not suitable for the no-code, low-code development model. I know the visually impaired need a comprehensive accessibility solution and I hope everything will have a demo for other visually impaired users. I think, it is necessary to make software development accessible to general users and those who do not know how to code can make an arbitrary application. I see, it is better to spread everything until the visually impaired can master it, it will be better when accessibility is the main element. I find, block programming is effective when anyone can create their own mobile application. Leveraging all resources and developing accessibility in a short time is a good thing. I very much welcome the improvement of kodular for the blind community like us. I really appreciate what you guys have done in this forum discussion. I hope one day I will work with you.

The biggest difficulty that blind people face is the design of the user interface, so it is necessary to optimize everything so that the blind can work on kodular easily, they can control their behavior. . From there, making kodular accessible to everyone regardless of their body defect. You know, the process of receiving information is a very important thing for the visually impaired, this will affect accessibility, equality, user experience,… Therefore, there should be a few things. The design is suitable for the visually impaired to refer to and needs to create for them an appropriate environment that ensures that it is accessible and can be useful to the users of assistive technology.

As an accessibility tester and having many years of experience using kodular and related tools, I realize that things need to improve from now on because it has hindered the simple operation. simplified the process of completing a demo project and it was not possible for us to fully exploit its features. So I hope everything gets resolved and I hope this topic won’t be brought up again in any other tech forums. I believe everything will be fine. You know, for the visually impaired, programming is very difficult. Especially block programming languages ​​like scratch because by nature, it uses drag and drop operations and forces everything to use the mouse, not interact through the keyboard. That is, disabled people cannot use it. In addition, the inability of assistive technologies such as screen readers to read graphic content and limited accessibility were also a major barrier for us. So, I think, need to meet wcag and everything should be friendly to everyone. In fact, tools like kodular, MIT App Inventor, Thunkable,… also rely on scratch programming language to work. So, to improve it is a matter of spreading. The fact that it runs on the web is also something that makes accessibility irrelevant. So all you need to do is improve them soon and give me a satisfactory answer so I can know if I can switch to another platform or not? From there, it helps to solve the application optimization problem or increase the progress of a project. It’s sad not being able to customize the app to your liking and it can’t be of much help and the aria label, alt text, accesskey are incomplete and the accessibility attributes are absent. The poor compatibility with NVDa is something I cannot accept because it discriminates against customers who are visually impaired. Therefore, I believe that it is necessary to create fairness for everyone, anyone can use it no matter what defects they have in their body, they can do things more independently. Simplify the process of testing an application. I found it to be a significant time saver. I know the hard part here is the visual environment and that reduces the interaction with current screen readers. I also know that currently, technologies like no code, low code are growing strongly in the coming time. I myself am not surprised by its presence. However, it is because of this change that the digital gap between the blind and society is widening. This makes them lag behind the world and it is very difficult to keep up with technology. Therefore, there should be a solution to fix this sooner. Thereby, helping to bridge the digital gap for the visually impaired. Help them confidently master technology. Currently, WordPress is a very popular powerful cms platform. However, accessibility is not very good.Even so, it still attracts many visually impaired people to use it to build their own website. Knowing that, it still has many limitations and needs to be upgraded every day, but it is still the first choice for visually impaired people who want to build a personal website. The highlight of WordPress over kodular is that it is easy to manage, simple, convenient, fast,… In particular, it has an extremely versatile block editor and even, it can allow users to edit coding to make it a great platform, a powerful tool. In addition, it also allows users to insert widgets and configure and customize the interface. I think that is more than enough for kodular to learn and draw experience for itself. From there, help kodular become more complete, attracting more users. Create, the opportunity to freely create as you want. I think, it’s time you need to do something to improve kodular and make it the best app builder. I always look forward to my message on this and this topic will attract more people to talk about it. I hope it becomes a reality and we can use kodular more easily. If you have any questions then reply below and I’m always happy to discuss this topic with you and I won’t let it drag on any longer. I need a change from you and I can see, everything is accessible in the future. This is also the final answer that I want to explain to you. Please keep this in mind. Thank you for your wonderful comments.

hello
i’m blind and i cannot use kodular with nvda or even jaws screen readers
although many blind people talking in this topic, i don’t note any actual improves or updates to the accessibility
the bigest problem is kodular still uses drag and drop ui elements on the screen
i need a solution for that
kodular developers should do anything because as blind people, screen readers can’t drag and drop using keyboard
i need a reply
thanks

Hi @advanced_technology_world

Kodular uses Blockly. The following is an answer in the App Inventor community from a couple of years ago. Best thing you could do is to contact the Blockly developers. https://groups.google.com/g/blockly

There’s work being done on making Blockly (the software that creates App Inventor’s blocks-based coding editor) accessible to screen readers, but it’s still got a ways to go! Last I heard (Oct 2019) it was still in the testing phases at the University of North Texas.

Unfortunately, App Inventor is even a little bit further behind than that because they’re running a version of Blockly that’s a few years old.

So in short, no. At the moment there’s not really way to make App Inventor screen-reader accessible :confused:

1 Like