Kodular Apps on Android TV

I’m pleased to show that apps compiled in Kodular do indeed work on Android TV, albeit partially. :smile:

The app I used for this test was the Pixabay API Search Template build R1, primarily because it’s one of my only publicly available projects that:

1. Works irrespective of device orientation.
  2. Has a design that works partially with input from an Android TV remote.

Pictures of the app in action:

The title bar menu works. Buttons work. Text boxes work. Avoid Arrangements. In my admittedly limited testing, the TV could not select anything inside an arrangement, and kept trying to click the component. This includes ListViews; I will try to investigate if TV-friendly ListViews can be made.

What’s the takeaway? There is no inherent property of Kodular Apps that would make them incompatible with TVs. And even though you can’t realistically use your usual Kodular projects on a TV, you can make apps for Android TV with some careful design choices.

As always, K_D here pushing the boundaries of Kodular. :wink:

Happy Koding!

14 Likes

nice man :man:

1 Like

Thanks! That’s incredible :smiley:

2 Likes

Were you able to find more on container and listview. App installs fine on android TV but nevigation is impossible as it lacks touch. How to make it work on that platform seamlessly?

1 Like

Not yet. The testing process is really lengthy to test a build (Make a test build > Compile and Download APK > Transfer to USB drive > Install on TV > Test > Repeat), and I had exams soon after making this post.

Thank you for bringing this back to my attention, I’ll try to conduct more testing in the coming days.

Navigation with buttons did work, in my testing.

4 Likes

It reminds me of my project too :sweat_smile: good luck on your tests. We’ll see the results you get.

4 Likes

Thanks. Will wait to hear more. I use listview in my app and it just does not work to move up and down on TV using remote buttons.

1 Like

That is indeed correct. I included that in my original post. You’d probably have to create your own ListView using dynamic components (and that’s what I’ll try to get working). The native ListView component cannot be navigated on a TV.

2 Likes