Restrict mobile data access to one app only

Hi All,

Ive seen somewhere that one can buy data that is limited to whatsapp only.

Is it possible to make it such that once installed, the app you have developed is the ONLY APP ALLOWED to use data.

Ive tried to google this but have had no joy.

Alternativly is it possible to switch off data for all apps except the app one has devrloped.

Thanks

Tony

It is technically possible to limit data usage to a specific app or to restrict data usage for all other apps except for the one you have developed, but the feasibility of this depends on the specific operating system you are using and the level of control you have over the device.

For example, on Android, you can use certain tools like “App Standby Buckets” or “Data Saver” to limit the amount of data used by specific apps or to restrict data usage for all other apps except for the one you have developed. However, this requires specific permissions and settings to be enabled on the device, which may not be feasible for all users.

Additionally, it is also possible to create a custom ROM or firmware that only allows certain apps to access the network, but this is an advanced solution that requires a significant amount of technical expertise.

It is important to note that restricting data usage to specific apps or to a custom app may also have negative effects on the user experience and may limit the device’s functionality.

In summary, it is technically possible to limit data usage to a specific app or to restrict data usage for all other apps except for the one you have developed, but the feasibility and effectiveness of these solutions depend on the specific operating system and device you are using.

Yes, thanks. Ive read all that. But nowhere does it say how to do it. Mire specifically how to do it using Kodular.

I though using activity starter to set all data permissions off except the currently running app which presumably will be the developed app.

Any ideas

I apologize for the confusion in my previous response. In order to restrict data usage for all other apps except for the one you have developed, you can use the “Restrict Background Data” feature available in the Android operating system. This feature allows you to prevent background data usage for all apps except for the ones you specifically allow.

To enable this feature for your app in Kodular, you can use the “Activity Starter” component and set the following parameters:

Action: android.settings.IGNORE_BACKGROUND_DATA_RESTRICTIONS_SETTINGS
DataUri: package:<your-app-package-name>

Replace “<your-app-package-name>” with the package name of your app. You can find the package name in the “Package Name” property of the Screen1 component in Kodular.

Once you set these parameters and run the activity using the Activity Starter component, it will open the “Ignore battery optimization” settings for your app. From there, you can enable the “Restrict Background Data” feature for your app.

Please note that this approach only works on Android devices that support this feature. Additionally, this will not completely prevent other apps from using data, but it will limit their data usage to foreground usage only.

Ah. Thank you ever so much

let me give it a go

like this?

Gets me a 601 error. NO CORRESPONDING ACTIVITY WAS FOUND?

Which Android version are you using for your tests? Did you try another device?
Taifun

Using a Galaxy A52 5G
Android Version 12

You forgot the text package: before the package name

Taifun

1 Like

You are doing it wrong

In companion you have to use companion packagename
bild
NOTE: package:io.makeroid.companion

When build use your package name

You can’t ask for permission if it doesn’t exist in Manifest file, which I doubt it does in this case…

1 Like

Problem is thaat now it seems to work but I dont understan this screen

What Im tryng to do is to LIMIT THE DATA USAGE FOR ALL THE OTHER APPS ON THE DEVICE ---------- EXCEPT MY APP.

What am I not understanding?

Thanks

Unfortunately, that’s not possible. Is your app so much important that a user will allow your app to limit phone’s data access?

yes… because the ONLY users of the app will be gov employees who use the phone for one purpose and one purpose only