Rush • A new and improved way of building extensions

Hi @Shreyash I made an installer for Rush
Now we dont have to add all the paths manually…

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi,
Please make sure that you are editing the correct Java file, which in your case should be src/io/sample/sample.java.

Thanks for building it, Pratyush. If you’d like to, please consider creating a PR on GitHub for the same.

1 Like

Ok Thanks :slight_smile:

Btw can I know when is the Dependency management system comming? :heart_eyes:

Unfortunately, not anytime soon. I underestimated the work it would take to implement it. But yes, it’s definitely coming, just a bit late.

1 Like

Ok :slight_smile: I am very excited abt it
Btw you will download the jars from the given package name in the input ?

Wdym? :thinking:

He wants to maybe say that the rush will download the dependency (JAR as he saying) from the name…?

1 Like

Oh, ok. I haven’t yet finalized anything yet, but you’d be able to define the required dependencies in deps field in a format similar to Gradle. Something like this:

deps:
  - androidx.appcompat:appcompat:1.2.0

Rush will then fetch and cache all the required dependencies locally and you’ll be able to use them in your extensions.

1 Like

Oh yes thats what I was asking :slight_smile:
btw can u delete my PR in github…
I will make a new one

And I will also try and work on the Dependency management system :slight_smile: (in github)

1 Like

:sparkles: Rush 1.1.0 :sparkles:

What’s new :face_with_monocle:

• Building extensions is now almost 1.5x faster with Rush! Yes, you heard that right, 1.5x faster than previous versions! Don’t believe me, give it a shot yourself and feel the speed. :wink:

• Want to port your old extension(s) to Rush but fear rewriting those huge manifest annotations? No worries, I got your back. Introducing the migrate command! :tada: Simply run rush migrate in your extension template’s root directory and let Rush do the rest of the work. Learn more here.

• You can now install Rush using the Rush installer – rush-init. It’s not a full-blown installer and yeah, there’s still a lot of room for improvement, but hey, it’s better than nothing.

Bug fixes :beetle:

• The notorious “no extension in the out directory” bug is finally fixed (hopefully). :v:t2:

• Some Android manifest tags weren’t being added to the application’s AndroidManifest.xml when using Kodular. This issue is now fixed and you should be able to use all the supported manifest elements without any headache.

• Previously, aliasing the rush command and then trying to create/build an extension would throw some weird errors. This is no longer the case and you’d be just fine aliasing rush command to whatever you want.

• The -s (--support-lib) flag used to generate the support library version of your extension even if it didn’t depend on any of the AndroidX packages. Now, Rush will warn you when you unnecessary pass -s flag.

• There was this little bug that would create a directory named .rush if you run rush build in a non Rush project directory. It is now fixed.

Internal changes :dart:

• Rush now no longer depend on Apache Ant to build your extensions. All the compilation, optimization, and packaging are now done by Rush itself. :muscle:

• Tweaked quite a few other things that are either too small to notice or too tough to explain. All you need to know is that Rush is now much more stable and faster than it was before. :wink:

Installation :wrench:

To install, as well as to update, follow the new installation instructions:

I hope this update will make extension development a bit more easier and faster. If you face any issues, as always, create an issue here on GitHub or just leave a reply on this topic. I’ll try to respond ASAP.

Cheers,
Shreyash

6 Likes

Great :smile: :+1:

PS:

If your Windows defender is stopping you from running it as below:

Then you need to click on “More info” and “Run Anway”. You can safely ignore the warning.

1 Like

Looks like I am a bit late in the installer part :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A new update i’m so excited for it :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Some Error Occurred while building

Did you let the installer download all the necessary files?

Yes installed correctly!

Please re-run the installer. Looks like it was unable to download some files.

1 Like

Deleted the rush folder and now i’m trying to select directory but after selecting dir
cmd closes

Please try running the installer from a terminal. You can do it by opening the terminal in the directory where you’ve downloaded the installer and running ./rush-init-win64.exe.