AIX Studio - The first desktop IDE for Kodular extension development

Note: Peter told me to put this here in #discuss so please don’t flag me. :sweat:

After what felt like forever of hard work, it’s finally here.

I’ve built an extension development tool for those who want the full power of a desktop IDE, with the one-click convenience of limited online extension IDEs.

This is AIX Studio, the result of pain in extension development and a commitment to improving things. AIX Studio is an IDE based off of Visual Studio Code (VS Code is open source). Many things are similar, but there’s a huge difference. AIX Studio has many features built right in for extension development, including one-click local builds, speedy cloud builds, instant access to Javadocs, and more. Also Stack Overflow is built in because most of us extension developers usually need it. :confused:

AIX Studio is also designed to be ~fancy~ so you can impress your fellow extension developer friends.

Since AIX Studio is based off of Visual Studio Code, you can even collaborate with Visual Studio Code users and AIX Studio users with Live Share.

Starting a new project is also easier than ever thanks to built-in templates.

So what are you waiting for? Get AIX Studio for Windows today! (Don’t worry, Mac users, I’m working on a version for macOS. Meanwhile, you can try running it in Wine.)

:open_file_folder: Get AIX Studio

36 Likes

Can you please share video that how to generate aix?

3 Likes

This one is actually quite easy. It doesn’t need a video.

Building locally will open a window containing your build’s output. Building your project in the cloud will provide a download link.

If you don’t see some items, you may need to scroll.

4 Likes

Awesome work, a great service.

Let’s see what the creative geniuses on here can make.

1 Like

you came in the right time @cedkim
Thank you very much :grin:

1 Like

The project looks cool! However, I have a question before installing it if you don’t mind. :slightly_smiling_face:

What will happen to people who use Visual Studio Code already? So will it install another Visual Studio Code instance? Or will it override our current installation? If so, then it would be nice you can just make a Visual Studio Code Extension.

Lastly, do you have plans to make it open-source? Because installing an executable from the internet have risks. And the only way to prove it is fully safety is making it open-source. And also Visual Studio Code is open-source already, so why not make yours too :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I don’t plan to make it open source, but to answer your first question, you can have it installed alongside VS Code without any problems.

Hopefully you will also not forget the Linux users. :wink:

4 Likes

Please don’t flag my post just tell me to remove it but RIP Appybuilder IDE.

Wine :sunglasses:

Btw, this is where we need #off-topic category because now we will create a mess. :smiley:

Not true actually.
A lot of extension devs use it even after after getting the most efficient way of creating extensions i.e. Extension Template.

Tbh, I am still unable to understand its benefits.I want to learn more. @cedkim

The size is 1 gb :grinning: 300 mb .exe and 774 mb application.

1 Like

Better functionality can be achieved in less than 500mb.
Sublime Text/Atom/Notepad++/VS Code(not recommended) + Extension Template + Apache Ant + Java
:slightly_smiling_face:

Is this the Java you are talking about ?

I sadly don’t have a developer license for Windows or macOS so I have to be tortured by the system screaming ‘virus’ at me. Yes, Microsoft and Apple, I know that I’m broke, now stop deleting my own program from my computer because of that.

And can Geany be used ?

Never heard of that. What’s Geany?
Also: I’m working on decreasing the size of the IDE. The next version will be significantly smaller, I promise.

1 Like

Geany is a lightweight GUI text editor using Scintilla and GTK, including basic IDE features. It is designed to have short load times, with limited dependency on separate packages or external libraries on Linux. It has been ported to a wide range of operating systems, such as BSD, Linux, macOS, Solaris and Windows.
Source - Wikipedia

Interesting. I’ll have a look.

What’s next for AIX Studio

AIX Studio launched with several flaws. For one thing, the IDE as a whole was absolutely huge, taking up a gigabyte upon installation. There were also many bugs that I found after the release. Code was pieced together in a way that it was hard to debug or see what was wrong. And that’s why I’m so excited to announce what’s coming.

AIX Studio 2 is already starting to be developed.

AIX Studio has actually existed long before this announcement. And today, I want to share what I’m working on.

A complete backend revamp

One of the reasons for AIX Studio’s massive size is how much unnecessary code is built in. Due to the architecture of Visual Studio Code, which AIX Studio is based upon, AIX Studio had many, many unused functions that couldn’t be properly removed. So AIX Studio 2 will take the original logic, and implement it in a whole new way. Basically, AIX Studio 2 will implement everything while using only a fraction of Visual Studio Code’s software.

A new open model

I had never considered making AIX Studio open source, until many people pointed out how beneficial it would be, including @yusufcihan on this community. The reason that I didn’t open source it was actually because of how messy everything had got. But with this complete revamp, I’m able to release the code in a much cleaner manner. Once AIX Studio 2 is ready, it’ll be open source as well.

One last thing…

Most extension IDEs have been online, and that was usually one of their primary advantages. The problem was that these online IDEs were severely limited. AIX Studio 2 will also be available as AIX Studio Now, an online version of AIX Studio 2. Thanks to OpenShift from Red Hat, AIX Studio Now will be able to offer all of the functionality of desktop AIX Studio 2 for free on their generous free tier for anyone with a Red Hat account (which is also free).

Thanks for reading. And thank you to everyone who tried out, gave feedback on, or even just talked about AIX Studio. Thank you for your enthusiasm, your suggestions, even your mildly off-topic comments! It means the world to me to be part of a wonderful community like this. :heart:

psst… if you’re good with Javascript (not to be confused with Java) and are interested in working with me on AIX Studio, please send me a private message.

14 Likes