AIX Studio - The first desktop IDE for Kodular extension development

Update: Sadly, I’ve found several limitations in OpenShift’s free tier that would probably prevent many users from using AIX Studio online. Since AIX Studio 2 is a project to help contribute to the open source community, and not to earn money, it would be hard to use a different method. I already pay a lot for hosting other things. However, there’s still hope. I’m looking into options such as an open source promotional credit from Amazon Web Services, which could make it possible to host AIX Studio reliably for about a year before donations are needed. Since AIX Studio 2 is an open source project under the MIT License, it should be eligible for AWS credits.

I really hope this works out. And if I do get the AWS credits, I promise that all of it, no matter how much, will be used to give back to the extension developer community by bringing the next generation of AIX Studio to everyone. I’m so happy to be part of this supportive community, and I’m excited to do something in return.

5 Likes

Nice @cedkim You are really working for community and trying to give the best :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks. I enjoy trying to make an impact for more people instead of always trying to earn money, because while doing something for profit pays off for one person, doing something for a community pays off for everyone.

1 Like

Yep, I wish I could donate you now, but definitely in future :blush:

When I will have my own card

1 Like

Update: I decided not to go with AWS, but to use a platform called Fly.io. The main advantage of Fly.io in this situation is that payments are not done automatically, and there’s a lot of time to pay the last month’s bill before project suspension. They also have a very generous free tier, and a less confusing service.

1 Like

Update: There’s still a problem. Fly is designed for web services that are fine with rebooting an instance automatically every now and then. That was actually the case for many things I did with their service, but a cloud IDE might have some serious issues with that sort of automatic rebooting. I’m thinking about how to deal with this without cost management getting too hard; Fly’s simple invoice payment method is the actual selling point for me, since I want to be able to see my bill without distractions or complex stuff, and I want to be able to pay it manually, also without a complex setup process.

So… I’m hesitant about using any other service, but it looks like I have to. I was actually thinking of hosting this on my Linux box until I realized that it’s probably a really bad idea.

1 Like

Hi @cedkim,
What about using Heroku? It’s free tier provides enough features, which I guess, would be enough for the initial days of your service. A few weeks ago, I worked on a simple extension compiler built with NodeJS and Docker which I deployed on Heroku and everything went pretty well. Maybe you too should give it a try.

On a side note, if you’ve GitHub’s education pack you can get access to Heroku’s Hobby Dyno for free for upto two years.

4 Likes

I’ve tried Heroku before, but I feel that its pricing model is a bit weird. Their service is a bit more complex than Fly, but good, but that’s why I use Fly.io: their service is like Heroku, but much easier and simpler. I’ve also had a look at GitHub’s education pack, and I’ll consider it. It seems pretty interesting and I believe I could really find it useful.

1 Like

Development update: AIX Studio 2 is closer than ever! Just a few things need to be done:

• I need to do some testing to make sure everything works. This means I’ll have to test on Windows, macOS, and Linux. Luckily I have 3 dedicated computers just for that.
  • I need to find a good way to host AIX Studio Now. I’m reconsidering Red Hat OpenShift at the moment, since I realized that it might be possible to use OpenShift.

That’s pretty much all. Once again, thank you for your support and patience.

5 Likes

Ohh Very Nice

Do you plan to open source the online version too?

1 Like

Yes. Since AIX Studio 2 and AIX Studio 2 Now will be based off of the same codebase, I felt it would also be appropriate to release AIX Studio 2 Now’s complete code!

2 Likes

I might not be able to test so soon because I’m deleting node_modules on my computer and if you’ve ever worked with Node.js, you know what that means.

(For people who haven’t used Node.js, node_modules is where package dependencies are stored, and it’s not unusual to have more than a thousand or sometimes even a million files in there. Therefore, it takes forever to delete this giant mess of a folder.)

1 Like

:eyes:
starting tests for AIX Studio 2 desktop soon

1 Like

Update: Something went wrong during the build. It seems to be a problem with the CI script.

Update: Still working on fixing some AIX Studio Desktop bugs.

3 Likes

I’m starting to test AIX Studio 2 for desktop. If you’re a brave one who loves to live on the cutting edge and you have some sort of urge to try out AIX Studio 2 for desktop, I’m going to drop the download link here on the condition that you know that this is a pre-release, and that it has only gone through automated testing so far.

7 Likes

And if anyone finds any bugs, please do report them to me.
Oh, and also, I don’t have a Windows code-signing license or a macOS code-signing license so you may need to click through some security popups.

1 Like

Do you have a version that runs on linux without wine?

1 Like

I’m working on setting up GitHub Actions CI to compile to files that can be opened on Linux.
It’ll be compiled to DEB and RPM files, and I think I might as well also set up an AppImage.

1 Like

I can’t install it. Its contuniously showing this only. And after a while it vanishes but I am not getting how to open AIX Studio.