Firebase Authentication issue

My post does indicate an extension that will do this…

I saw that paid one. I was hoping that since the auth component was not functional with the firebase component as is, someone would work on correcting that issue instead of forcing us to pay for an extension to do what should be done already.

Since that extension hasn’t been tested as a solution for this issue, I’m warry about paying the money to test it out. Looking at the post, it looks like it is using the standard firebase component to actually store and get info which concerns me since that is what isn’t passing the authorization token and causes errors.

No-one is forcing you to do anything!

The old saying - “time is money” :wink:

If you have to time to use my “free” solution, then you can do it for free. But for $5 you can save yourself a lot of time. We have no God given right to expect all these things to come for free…

Then the firebase auth component should come with a disclaimer that it actually doesn’t do anything or should be removed because it doesn’t communicate with the firebase DB component and can’t be used in any meaningful way. The paid extension may not even function since this same question has been asked there with no response. I may be forced to use your REST API method in order to keep my information safe.

As a developer, I have a responsibility to make sure my software functions as advertised. I don’t feel that the firebase authorization component does in its current state and because the users haven’t been made aware it could open them up to user data theft. Asking for the developers to fix an obvious bug isn’t expecting anything above the functionality that it’s supposed to provide. Maybe the firebase component should change to using the REST API by default that way Authentication tokens and database rules can be used properly.

I think you need this app:

The Firebase Auth extension and components do what they say in the tin, allow users to authenticate with Firebase. Yes, it would have helped to have the idToken pass-through included.

Oh, and you are welcome :+1:

Tim, thank you for at least providing me a workaround. I’m not trying to be a pain, but there is NOTHING saying that the authorization doesn’t pass information in the database component. That is something that shouldn’t be omitted. There is no way to use that user authentication in any way to secure the data online and it, therefore, serves little purpose. This app is for a company and our data needs security (as I’m sure may users apps also need security to protect user info). I built the app under the understanding that I could write rules that the firebase authentication would allow me to use. Now I need to rewrite quite a bit of it to effectively use the workaround when the firebase component SHOULD function this way or have a disclaimer.

The Kodular team even created several web pages to help you get the authentication working that have been followed to the letter by several of us and those instructions do not work. So it’s not that I think it should be doing something it wasn’t supposed to to. it’s not doing what it’s supposed to be doing.

Hi Gary,
I understand that the seamless working of Firebase Authentication and Realtime Database is quintessential to the security of your app. With that in mind, I’d like to let you know we’re still trying to fix the issue over at our end. From my testing, it seems to be an issue with an outdated library we’re using, but I’m yet to confirm a fix for the same. I’ll put up any further changes in the bug tracker topic so that all of you can stay updated. We hope to have the issue fixed by the next release.

Thanks for your patience.

Vishwas, thank you. I’m really not trying to be a pain in the butt. I think Kodular is an amazing piece of software and could end up rivaling Android Studio as an app creation toolkit. But, with the limitations of not being able to edit the Gradle files or the libraries ourselves, we are reliant on you guys to come to the rescue and solve problems that would normally be solvable by the app developer themselves in Android Studio.

Thanks @Vishwas.

I hope you find a solution soon.

My app is ready, but privacy rules are super important in my case so i’m on stand by until you guys can hopefully solve this.

Regards!

I can tell you that the work around posted earlier today does work. I spent the morning testing that out on a new project. I just am not going to have the time to rework all my firebase blocks since our busy season is upon us where I work and I’m going to be answering phones all day for the next few months. I was hoping to get an answer to this before our season started.

Thanks @GaryH.

But I wouldn’t even know where to begin.
My app is pretty big (spent 6 months building it) and basically all of it runs through and depends on firebase.

I hope @Vishwas and the @kodular team can figure it out soon.

1 Like

Remember firebase auth is not related with Read & Write permissions. It simply means, you can use firebase auth in a secure way.

Note: this thread is getting long! I write this reply guessing the topic! Don’t know if it relates your query.

What is the point in authentication if you can’t do anything with it?

IMO (and the opinion of all the users who asked this same question in other posts), the biggest reason you would want to authenticate a user is to control their access to information and that means setting rules. If you have to leave your database in testing mode and the data is unsecured then authentication isn’t useful.

The Kodular team has identified this as a bug and is working on a fix. We just don’t have a time line for that fix yet.

My app is used on corporate managed accounts and I have kept customer information off the database, but there is still data I want secured being used. Other developers have user data that they need to keep secure. All we are asking for is a way to do that like we are supposed to be able to.

Seems like this wasn’t fixed even with the last update :pensive:

I haven’t had a moment to fiddle with it.

1 Like

It’s seems it has not, no mention of it in yesterdays update…

Maybe i should give up on my project. There is no way to work with firebase rules write and read setted to true

@Vishwas, are there any updates to this issue?

Nothing?

I think they should disable the Firebase security rules section from docs. Seems that this problem is like 4 months old…