[FREE] Panel - The first web admin panel for Kodular

Introducing Panel: the first web admin panel for Kodular and App Inventor 2.

I made Panel out of security concerns for apps with admin panels that weren’t as secure as their developers thought. Panel is the first extension for any App Inventor 2 distro that provides a web admin panel powered by cutting-edge blockchain-powered (hehe block programming extension powered by blockchain) storage and security technology. And it’s free!

Setup guide

1. Register

Each app has its own account. Panel doesn’t ask you for your email address or any other personally identifying information.

2. Configure

Once you’ve created an app account, add basically anything as a variable in your Dashboard.

3. Install

Once you’re ready, download and install the Panel extension from your dashboard to your App Inventor/Kodular project. You’ll need to copy your username from the dashboard into the AppUsername field in the component’s configuration.

4. Integrate

Replace static values with GetItem blocks. You’ll use these to grab the variables you defined in your dashboard, so you’ll need the variable names.

Blocks

GetItem

getitemblock
This block takes in a variable name (defined in the web dashboard) and returns the value.

GetAllJSONData

getalljsondata
This block returns every variable, bundled into a JSON object.

FAQ

Here are some frequently asked questions and their answers.

What’s the difference from storing everything in a TinyWebDB?

Well, for one thing, you get a web interface with Panel. And for another thing, Panel is more secure. With TinyWebDB, there’s always a possibility that someone reverse-engineers your app and directly uses the TinyWebDB API to change things that they shouldn’t be changing. Panel makes sure only you can edit things.

What do you mean by ‘blockchain security and storage technology’?

I use Blockstack, a blockchain platform that keeps private data secure and all data uneditable to users without permission to edit that specific data, without having any central authorities. Neither Panel or Blockstack can see private data. However, this also means that if you lose your Secret Key, you lose access to your account. A small price to pay for superior security, however.

Am I allowed to use Panel in apps that earn me money?

Yes. Panel does NOT charge anything or take any commission for commercial use.

Get started with Panel

Since Panel requires an account to use (just like most other online services), you’ll need to sign up at a website to get the extension. Don’t worry; I don’t ask for your email address or any other possibly personally identifying info.
:globe_with_meridians: Sign up for free and get the extension

26 Likes

Nice work! :+1::+1: So is that a online database? And is there any limit?

5 Likes

There is no limit to the amount of data you can store. It’s stored on a distributed database, so if ‘official’ database servers go down, data doesn’t go down with it. Also, it’s a unique type of database, since all data is readable from Kodular, but data is only editable to authorized dashboard users. There are also no superusers who can edit everything; you completely own your data.

4 Likes

Great extension @cedkim :partying_face: .

That sounds great.

So we cannot write data from app? its read-only?

1 Like

So, give me some reasons for use it instead of Firebase and Airtable :grin:

1 Like

One last question: is there any connection limit like firebase? Anyway, will definately try it out when I get my PC :blush:

1 Like

Yes. The most important point is security, since most apps with admin panels have major security holes that can and will be exploited. With Panel, only authorized users can edit stuff through the web dashboard.

1 Like

Unlimited storage, bandwidth, connections, and requests. :wink:

1 Like

And can we store values too or only read?

1 Like

You can store values from the dashboard, but read them and only read them from the app. Panel is made to be an admin panel optimized to be a secure admin panel. Maybe I’ll work on something like Firebase or Airtable at some point.

1 Like

It will be great​:wink:

1 Like

Thanks! ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣

1 Like

Any Video Of Using It ?

I don’t have a video yet. But I could send some screenshots. I’ll take some screenshots now.

2 Likes

1 Like

Block screenshots are in the main post.

Congratulations @cedkim ! I’m curious to turn on the notebook and understand it better. It looks very interesting.

3 Likes

Excellent work :+1: :+1:
Keep it up

Thank you both so much!

1 Like

These variables would be like configuration parameters for an app and so we can change without having to rebuild the app, is that it?

1 Like