Discussion about Rules Enforcement

The rules are clear. Very clear.
@Diego.

4 Likes

@Diego can you explain more of the reasoning behind removing the #off-topic category other than “we have decided that we restrict topics not related to Kodular from the Community”?

1 Like

I guess it’s clear. If you’re active member of community you probably know what happened on 15th.

2 Likes

It is harder for us to moderate specific topics than an entire category, which is why we elected to remove all of it

9 Likes

Exactly. @Vishwas
Congratulations to the team, small in number but large in balance.

3 Likes

Such comment is the reason why we have came into that decision. Indian users think we are against them because of closing a topic in Hindi, without considering the real rules violation. And lots of users were complaining about been displaced, so we just ended up with all kind of national-specific topics, independently of the country. If I were to open a topic about Spain, for example, I would get banned.

Another example. Imagine I open a topic about Spain, in Spanish. And then I get it unlisted and closed because of using Spanish and excluding users. Then I start accusing Kodular of violating my rights, and been against all Spanish people. I get my account suspended for harashing staff people, and I become a martyr, making more Spanish people complain about my suspension and accusing Kodular of being against Spain.
Does it make sense?

20 Likes

This rule should be there at starting of an one year old topic we were recently talked about. I hope you can remember which topic I’m pointing to.

3 Likes

Perfect, @Diego and team. Imagine, Brazil:
Carnival Independence Day The proclamation of the Republic Day Christmas ???

1 Like

I don’t know the topic you are talking about, but I admit it was a mistake not banning such kind of topics time ago. We should have forbid topics since time ago that only involve some users in the community and excludes others, polarizing the community.

10 Likes

One more time : perfect

1 Like

@asimjib93

We have long allowed birthday wishes, festivals, national holidays, and other off-topic discussions to feature in our forums, with the hope that these shared identities will bring Koders closer as one Community. While they did not directly add to the knowledge-base of the Community, they indirectly helped members talk about their interests and passions, which in turn encouraged a greater contribution to discussions.
Unfortunately, at some point in the past few months, our leniency was falsely conflated to a disrespect for the rules and etiquette expectations in the Community. From immature ad-hominem attacks on users to inappropriate content being posted, we have seen a rise in the deviation from the core principles our Community believes in. These incidents not only lower the bar for discussion in our forums, but also encourage others to break these rules themselves with no fear of consequences.

Note that we used to encourage off-topic discussion in the past when it encouraged community involvement. For instance, I had posted a topic on behalf of the staff for India’s Independence Day 2017/18 (I can’t recollect now which it was)

Unfortunately, the purpose of off-topic discussions changed somewhere the past few months, where they stopped contributing to the spirit of the Community. This is why we felt the need to disable the category entirely

10 Likes

That’s good to know that you guys at least understood the problems.

3 Likes

Rules are Rules, where a majority or not should follow.

And I believe that the points you are talking about is solely created by moderator(s). They should be more professional.

2 Likes

Rules are Rules, where a majority or not should follow.

Sure. Rules are rules no doubt. But the problem starts while moderator(s) behaves like an amateur and try us to teach behaviour. Indians think that Kodular is agains them? No, we don’t really think but situation makes us think so.

2 Likes

Look at the Kodular team. Have you looked? They work much much much more than we do. Oh! Someone will say: they do it because they make money. Oh! This is obvious ! But what about us? Aren’t we making money from it? Or trying to win? They, the Staff, have a lot of work. When Companion stops, they receive 299,000 complaints. And now they have to take care of particularities … yes particularities that are NOT part of the community. Please understand: rules are rules …

3 Likes

Don’t know about others. But at least I’m not trying to achieve money target. Serving to user is always my priority. I’ve only two apps on Kodular since 2018.

2 Likes

You didn’t focus on the team that runs Kodular …

So don’t think so :exploding_head:

You shouldn’t think someone is against you unless they right out say it to you (and staff would and should never say this) and no one here has said this about anyone on the community.

This is a great example of what you just said about yourselves. Now you’re gonna make mods feel like people against them. And I’m sure there are people who are actually against them for doing their job (and I was once too), but we all change. The category got removed and they essentially punished all of us for ones doing because people took the fun out of an off-topic category which is why I’ve stopped commenting on most posts from there previously.

6 Likes