Screen Rekorder - Proof of Concept

Strange… It showed that you edited the title. Anyway, moving the Demo video outside the details tag made it visible anyway. Still, thanks!

2 Likes

:flushed: :rofl:

2 Likes

Good idea!
I was thinking, if you save only a canvas image, then someone makes an extension that can take a list of image files and turn it into a gif, you could make a cool animator!

3 Likes

See Juan Antonio’s gif extension (which can make a gif from images)

Sorry on further reading, this extension decompiles a gif to individual frames, not the other way :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’re absolutely correct. However I merely chose a Canvas to show that changes are indeed recorded by Rekorder. It will work with whatever is on the screen (barring some components like Circular Progress Bar, which vanish magically).

2 Likes

Something to note: Rekorder doesn’t need the Canvas; it’s just a way to create large noticeable changes between subsequent frames. The actual Recording would happen irrespective of what components are being shown. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Kanishka_Developer

Thought I would have a play with this and built this up over on AppInventor, using @Taifun 's Screenshot extension. Took a different approach and used a clock to fire the screenshots (the main reason being when I ran your blocks in my genymotion emulator I was getting 60 fps!), added a timer selector, and some stats after stopping. I also added a delete images, to help clean up the sdcard :wink: Uploaded to Kodular and it works just as well. I am finding on devices I am getting between 4.5 and 7 fps, would like to see it up nearer 10 but the shotter just can’t go any quicker! :slight_smile:

ScreenGifferNew.aia (15.0 KB)

Screenshot

Blocks

6 Likes

Screen Rekorder’s first prototype actually used a Timer to lock FPS at 25. I had to implement VRR to improve the stability.

I’m intrigued by your test results to say the least (it’s GREAT to see others join my outlandish projects! :smiley:) and will see what framerates I get on Android Studio. Btw Screen Rekorder R2 has an Average FPS meter. :wink:

3 Likes

Screen Rekorder R2 Changelog:

• Added Average FPS meter for benchmarking your device.
  • Added a “Clean Up” menu item to remove the Rekorder files in one click.

Download Links:
AIA
APK

4 Likes

Further developments…

Juan Antonio has kindly made an extension to “make a gif” (Many thanks Juan!)
http://kio4.com/appinventor/293C_extension_crear_gif_animado.htm
I incorporated it into my first effort, and display the resultant gif in a webviewer
(the aia and blocks are done in AI2)
ScreenGifferNewAI2.aia (65.8 KB)

Screen Giffer Blocks

Also (@Italo) I revised things to use Jerin Jacob’s Component 2 Image extension, to capture just the canvas component (inside a vertical arrangement)
(again in AI2)
CanvasGiffer.aia (42.6 KB)

Canvas Giffer Blocks

3 Likes

A Canvas Recorder is infinitely more simple (and efficient) than a Screen Recorder. :sweat_smile: You can have basically 100% efficiency on a Canvas Recorder, due to the different implementation. A Screen Recorder though… Oof.

Btw, A Pixel 3 VM (API 29) on the Android Studio Emulator bags me a whopping 5 FPS (on a decent laptop mind you), so I’m guessing GenyMotion has some serious optimization. Too bad it has no free version.

1 Like

There is a free version, you just have to know where to look!

2 Likes

And here I was thinking it’s purely Enterprise software! Thank you!!!

1 Like

Please try MEMU Play. It’s the fastest emulator I’ve ever tried. Genymotion is good too, but is huge in size.

Windows only…:frowning: (no Mac or Linux)

2 Likes

This is the kind of app I was thinking when I though about recording the canvas only:

1 Like

Oh, sorry. I didn’t know you don’t use Windows.

1 Like

Looks doable, would take a fair bit of work though :slight_smile:

Something like saving the canvas in frames and letting the user see the previous frame in grey instead of black as a temporary overlay or background to help draw the next frame.
Then save all the frames as gifs. It could be a cool animator for cartoonists.

1 Like

[Working] I can’t download any file APK or AIA please update links