USB refuses to connect, Kodular Starter Connection Tests say OK!

howto
companion
starter
(OrangeCAT TwoCanes LLC) #1

Is Starter running? Yes, it is running…

Is your phone connected? Yes, it is connected.

This is driving me mad. I do not understand how I’m supposed to use Kodular if it can’t even connect to a USB phone. Is this a Linux issue? My Samsung Galaxy S6 is up to date and my Ubuntu 19.04 is up to date and USB DOES NOT WORK. Sorry for the all caps but I’m really frustrated with this software.

I’m using Starter-master, downloaded yesterday June 9, 2019.

I see topics going back to last November…with the answer being it should be fixed in the next release.

If I’m just going to waste my time, I’ll find another solution. Please let me know what the status is of this bug or how I can fix the problem.

Thank-you,
-Kevin

(Shreyash) #2

Perhaps you should take a look at this guide :point_down:

FYI, in Kodular it’s not mandatory that the companion and your PC should be connected to the same WiFi, live testing works even if both of them are connected to different networks. :slightly_smiling_face:
PS: In the last major update, this change was made.

(Shreyash) #3

Can you confirm whether it’s working now or not?

(OrangeCAT TwoCanes LLC) #4

Hi,

The USB connection does NOT work. I can successfully start the “python linux.py” Starter-master which finds and starts adb and shows my phone connected as does the “Need Help?” page.

If I try to use “python3 linux.py” I get this:

/usr/local/src/Kodular/Starter-master: python3 linux.py (06-11 12:01:13)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “linux.py”, line 7, in
from bottle import run, route, response
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘bottle’
krieger:/usr/local/src/Kodular/Starter-master:

I reran pip install "pip install -r requirements.txt ":
Requirement already satisfied: bottle==0.12.15 in /home/xxxx/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages (from -r requirements.txt (line 1)) (0.12.15)

Sorry, but none of your links led to solutions, only the same old, same old.

To be clear, I can get it to work with Companion, but that’s not what I want. If I can’t use USB for live testing, it is too slow and wastes too much time connecting via Companion.

I have absolutely no problems with this same setup in MIT App Inventor.

-Kevin

(Shreyash) #5

I have no idea why it’s not working.
Perhaps you should wait for a response from the staff.

(OrangeCAT TwoCanes LLC) #6

It’s been a couple of days, how long do you suppose I must wait for the staff to help?

(Shreyash) #7

Sorry for your inconvenience. I can understand how frustrating is could be, but the only way to a working solution is to be patient and wait for a positive response from the staff.
Also, instead of creating a new topic, it would have been better if you had stayed on with the old topic on which @pavi2410 was assisting you.

(OrangeCAT TwoCanes LLC) #8

The one where it wouldn’t let me add new information cuz of ???

That thread?

Sorry, but you don’t have a Tech Support thread that is read by “staff”. You also have a
problem that is at least 6 mos old if not years and it isn’t being fixed, it just being argued here that using the companion is fiiiiiiinnnne.

It ain’t, and at this point neither is Kodular. Too bad. :face_vomiting:

Oh, and the total blank on much of the “documentation” is not very useful, either.

(Shreyash) #9

First of all, what about being a bit nicer? This way there are chances that others will be nice to you too, else tit for tat.

Wdym?

Let me tell you that each and every thread on the community is read by staff. There’s hardly any topic that they don’t read.

Do you think fixing something which isn’t broken makes any sense? Of course no, infact some users use the starter on Linux without any problem. Also, you are the first person who is complaining that the companion is slow. Maybe it’s because of your slow internet connection.

Will @pavi2410 or anyone from @Kodular please take a look here?

1 Like
(OrangeCAT TwoCanes LLC) #10

First of all, what about being a bit nicer? This way there are chances that others will be nice to you too, else tit for tat.

How was I not nice? Because I said what I thought truthfully and accurately? You only like it if someone uses the NICE emojis? :smirk: You don’t have a lot of experience with customers do you? I didn’t cuss anyone out, I just tried to get information when I needed it. But it was more important to you to be a authoritarian than to provide support. You put roadblocks in the way, and then bitch when someone has the temerity to go around them; and then bitch some more when they actually post their opinions?

Wdym?

I had new information for the user that was trying to help me, but I could not post that info because Newbies are not allowed to reply to the thread until “Others have posted”. Deletions of my own posts are postponed 24 hours? You guys are more worried about bad actors posting nasty-grams than helping new customers. Most people will have problems the first day they use something and Kodular makes it difficult for any problems to be reported, so no, I don’t believe you when you say “Sorry you are frustrated.” Otherwise you’d:

1. Make it easier to report technical problems, not disguise your “Community” to such an extent that
    it is more difficult to use than it needs to be.

2. Not jump down somebody’s throat as though you are guarding a king, instead of providing tech support
    to CUSTOMERS for a product that isn’t documented well, and well, not supported.

3. Fix the problem in the first place. In lieu of that, at least mention it in your FAQ.

Let me tell you that each and every thread on the community is read by staff. There’s hardly any topic that they don’t read.

By your own words, your “staff” does not read all threads. How would I know from looking at your Community pages just which posts and where and when staff choose to read them? NOWHERE on your site does it say how or when “staff” reads the posts. NOWHERE on your site does it say POST PROBLEMS HERE FOR TECH SUPPORT. No, one must use “OFF TOPIC”!? :face_vomiting: Even your FAQ :confused: is woefully inadequate, I guess I’m just supposed to guess, like your non-existent documentation leaves me guessing. Your staff certainly did not reply and say, “Sorry, but the USB does not work and there is no fix”. Instead, I was left trying and waiting for days and never did get a fix for it. One of the users tried to help, but even the Starter-master he pointed me too, which was supposed to be “the fix”, did not work. I gotta tell ya, when your “Need Help?/CHECK” page says all is connected and it still doesn’t work, one wonders if you have the resources available to fix it…or care to at all.

Do you think fixing something which isn’t broken makes any sense? Of course no, infact some users use the starter on Linux without any problem.

Fixing a problem that doesn’t exist…that’s how you look at it?

That’s exactly what YOU are doing. I wasn’t asking for a Companion fix, that was YOU pushing a solution for the wrong problem. The problem is that the USB connection IS BROKEN. I gave you more than enough information and found posted evidence of others having the same problem, but somehow it is MY fault that the USB does NOT work.

I’ve probably been running Unix and Linux and even Windoze computers longer than you’ve been alive, so don’t EVEN go down that road Shreyash. I did my best to provide as much info as I could so that others could help out, but that wasn’t good enough now was it? Clearly you don’t have an answer for this issue, so it is easier to subtly malign my skillz, right?

Also, you are the first person who is complaining that the companion is slow. Maybe it’s because of your slow internet connection.

So pushing off the problem and acting like I’m the ONLY one who EVER complained about the USB is disingenuous…cuz I should be using “COMPANION”! You are absolutely correct, I have a slower than usual Internet connection. I have the fastest I can get, but it is only a T1 because of where I live. So are you saying your customers must have a wicked fast connection in order to use your service? Why don’t you put that out on the front page of your web-site? If it doesn’t work well for a T1, then maybe you have more problems than you think. Again, you’d rather malign the customer for not having DSL or faster speeds than to actually fix the problem.

Yeah, the Companion is slow, but it is the waiting after the connection breaks while coding and then I have to redo the connection; several times in a half-hour is not reasonable. It is NOT, as some have suggested a replacement for true live-testing. I just do not understand how you can get something from MIT and totally screw it up so that it does not work at all. The USB link-up works fine at MIT and Appybuilder and Thunkable…just not Kodular.

Kodular’s true colors were flying this week. You have a busted interface and you can’t, or won’t, address the problem. Your “fix” is to not use it. Well, that’s my fix for Kodular.

-Kevin :sunglasses: