How to look for update, on app start?

So, I have an app and I recently published it to the Google Play Store and will soon be publishing it on the Galaxy App Store. If you have Clash Of Clans downloaded or Clash Royale, you know that they force updates? How are you able to search for an update for your app and force it if its not up-to date? Where it prompts you to update

Get the current version of the app (version code)

Use firebase to store the latest version.
At the screen initialize, read the latest version from the firebase and compare it with the current version. If latest version is greater, give your playstore link.

This in my suggestion. If any other good suggestion given by others you can use that.

Can you show an example? Donā€™t know how to use the firebase part

@hammerhai I have this version check functionality in one of my apps, without firebase, and the app is also free of any extensions.

The way it works, is that thereā€™s a variable LocalVersion that I manually set to the version code in every release (I forgot to do it in 1.1.1 and rushed out 1.1.2 to fix that :laughing: ) On Screen1 initializing, I fetch the latest version from TinyWebDB (also manually saved by me). If LatestVersion > LocalVersion, show uncancelable message alert with one button only.

Title: Update Available
Button: Update

When Update is clicked, open Play Store page of the app with an activity starter. Simple.

To force update: When other screens initialize, check version using the above given technique, and just close Screen instead of showing alert. (you can close Screen with end value, so that Screen1 clarifies why it closed, using another message alert.)

Hope it helpsā€¦ Just one of many useful tricks in my app :wink:

3 Likes

If you havnā€™t uploaded your app to google play store and you wants to Force your user to update app follow below steps.

See Below images for example.

Fill your firebase account Details in given textbox.

Images blocks:

Sample file
Nick_ForceUpdate.aia

You need to change version from firebase account or You can create Admin app shown below.

2 Likes

Fill same firebase data other wise it will not work.

Sample file:
Nick_Admin.aia

1 Like

@NICK I donā€™t know what you meant, but my method works for any app. :smirk:

Personal opinion, Firebase is harder for beginners, and a bit complicated to set up.]

P.S. My app uses an admin app too. :wink:

Thatā€™s possible on Makeroid without using an extension, as Screen or DeviceComponent has already a block to get VersionCode

Yes. I forgot @Diego. Sry.
@Kanishka_Developer i suggest firebase because it is more secure than the TinyWebDB. And it is not that much hard.

1 Like

Why are you giving me the tutorial? XD

I would have used VersionCode block and Firebase, if only that App was made in Makeroid. Iā€™ll be able to optimize a hell of a lot more if I migrate.

Itā€™s simple to understand.
When you want to send update to your users just change the older version to newer version with admin app.
Our main app will always compare current version of app and firebase value.
When values are not equal it send popup to update app.
Otherwise app will be closed.

Nowā€¦ I dont want to make an extra app just for the admin so what I did was, I made an Admin Login system that is integrated with the regular Username and Password system!

1 Like

And where do you find your Firebase Token and URL

On your Firebase Console.

If you donā€™t wants to make an extra admin app.
You can directly change data of firebase.

Itā€™s better to use separate app for admin.
Otherwise users will try inserting wrong user name and password which is not good.

No I have the Admin System via a " ā€œ=ā€ " then goto Admin pageā€¦ And then the Username and Password system is via TinyDB

Once more, never use TinyDB or even TinyWebDB for such confidential data. Always stick to firebase.

1 Like

Itā€™s not confidential itā€™s just a Username and Password, my app doesnā€™t check for verificationā€¦ All Profile have the same data hooked to them so they can only register a Username and Password to login not to save an special data

So youā€™re OK with people accessing accounts teyā€™re not supposed to or editing local files? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Okā€¦ The Username is used to identify you on the second screen just for the Welcome, %username% label! The password is just there. You can register any Username and Password even if itā€™s in the TINYDB and itā€™s still valid, there is not sensitive data at all, they all receive the same data with uodates!