Error 908: The permission WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE. only on android11

Hello, this error 908 appears only on devices with android 11. When pressing the login button with google firebase, it asks for permission to access, even accepting it shows the error.

I read other posts and saw something related to adding in the manifest, how do you do it?

if i put the permissions right in the manifest will it solve my problem with android 11 ?

Yes, but it’s a bug and will remain a bug (until fixed).
It unnecessarily and incorrectly requests WRITE permission on Android 11+, although that permission no longer exists there!

1 Like

“” Replaced line <uses-permission android:maxSdkVersion="29" android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"/> with <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"/> in the manifest. “”

I changed the lines, the error disappeared but unfortunately I can’t get past the login screen when trying to log in with google firebase.

1 Like

What should it have to do with this?

I tested the apk again without changing the lines and it works again with the error from before.

That doesn’t make any sense at all, because declaring WRITE in the manifest is completely harmless for Android 11+ as well, since it’s handled there just like READ.

So show your Manifest before and after changing.

before

later

I made a change in just one line, these are the blocks I use in the login part.

It may be caused by this permission:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"/>

Why do you declare this permission in the Manifest?

You should know that it is (most likely) not allowed/granted by Google.

I saw in another post that they did this and tried to repeat.

should i just delete the line?

I will be changing the login mode, I believe it is simpler.

Thank you so much for your help and patience

you were right, after removing this permission it is working normally.

1 Like