Problems with admob

I have created a very simple app to test how the admob consent works. Unfortunately it seems it doesn’t work.

1. When the app first starts it asks for permission to show personalised ads. If I select “Ok” to show personalised ads it changes the label to show “Personalised”. But if I select cancel, ie to show non-personalised ads then the label still shows “Personalised”.

Why is this happening?

1. When I try to revoke the consent nothing happens. I tap the “Revoke consent” button but nothing happens.

Why is it not working?

Please note I created 4 apks:

1. Consent Development Mode checked and Test Mode checked
  2. Both unchecked - a message told me the app is not approved to show ads
  3. Consent Development Mode checked and Test Mode unchecked - a message told me the app is not approved to serve ads
  4. Consent Development Mode unchecked and Test Mode checked.

I understand the message about not serving ads. However, when Test Mode and Consent Development Mode are checked I expected the Revoke Consent block to work.

You are setting wrong block.

Set label text to personalised from event.

I’ll try that.

I did this:

In the Companion it worked once. It showed the label as “true” when I clicked “Ok” on the Consent dialog. It then showed “false” when I refreshed the screen. Then it just kept showing true no matter how many times I refreshed the screen and no matter which option I chose in the dialog.

The apk keeps setting it to “true” no matter what option I choose.

Also the Revoke Consent block isn’t working.

Why do you start learning coding with making an ad?
Ads are annoying in apps, aren’t they?
Why don’t you start by just simple apps to get familar with this builder.
I hope your main motivation isn’t to make fast an useless apps just to place some ads in it hoping to make a fast money. Because this is an illusion.
Keep on Koding not Ad-ing!

I have developed a chat app using Firebase. I’m looking to place admob ads in it so I can earn some money to pay for Firebase paid plan. I can pay the first few months out of my own pocket but I don’t want to pay for it myself forever.

I just need to get admob working properly.

NOTE: what I actually want to do is develop a far more complex chat app that has a monthly subscription. I believe people will pay for the features in it and it won’t have any ads. However, because the Subscription block does not work in the In-App Billing Component I can’t make this app.

What I’m looking to do therefore is make a “lite” version of the app which I will make money from via ads. Once I’ve made enough I can pay someone to make an Android Studio version with In-App Subscription. If @Kodular can fix the Subscription block I won’t need to go anywhere else and can make the full app on Kodular.

Just curious. What would be so special about your app, which is called Kwiqchat i think, that would make users pay for it? There are a lot of free chat applications around.

Kwiqchat is the free version. In this you can chat anonymously to people across the world. No need to log in, no names, email addresses or phone numbers etc are saved, so therefore I don’t collect any personal information.

The more complex version matches you with people who have similar interests etc. There’s a lot more to it and I believe people would be willing to pay $0.99 per month for it.

And how can the users be sure you don’t do that?

1 Like

But I don’t ask for any information.

You simply open my app, press the “CHAT” button and it takes you to a chat room. If there’s no one there you’ll wait until someone else comes along. If there is already someone there you’ll be matched with that person and you can start chatting.

There is nothing in my app where I ask for any information such as email address, phone number, name etc. There are no usernames, everyone is completely anonymous.

Does anybody know how to get the Consent and Revoke Consent working?

I am now convinced there are bugs with admob blocks so I have updated the title to reflect this.

1. When an ad is loaded a Consent message pops up for EU citizens. However, it makes no difference if you select “Cancel” or “Ok” to its question that asks if you want personalised or non-personalised ads. It always makes them personalised. As you can see from the screenshots above the Label_ConsentType always returns “true” whichever ad type you choose.

2. The Revoke Consent block does nothing. From the screenshots above, when you tap the button to Revoke Consent nothing happens. What is supposed to happen is the Consent message should pop up asking what kind of ads you want (personalised or non-personalised). But when you press the button absolutely nothing happens.

My conclusion is that EU citizens will have t see personalised ads no matter what option they choose. All we can do is give them the illusion they have control. We can do this using the following blocks:

When the ad loads for the first time it asks for their consent. Supposedly their response is saved so when they open the app the second time it won’t ask them again.

However, we need to let the users control the ad type. So now when you press Revoke Consent button it loads the ad again. My testing on the companion has shown this makes the Consent message pop up again.

This is not a satisfactory solution.

If I have got this wrong then I invite @Kodular to tell me how to fix things.

If the In-App Billing is the problem if i were you i would really think to purchase Taifun’s In-App Billing extension for 12 USD. If you think your app is good and unique you will get the 12 dollars back in no time.

I already asked if he can guarantee it works on the newest versions of Android and he said he doesn’t know. Until I have confirmation of it I can’t make the app.

How can users believe that. You can tell it, but how can they be sure? You can collect ip adresses, locations, you can save texts they are typing. And what if 2 million users at once want to try your app?

Ohh peter is on fire…:fire:

1 Like

To be honest I never thought about those things. I suppose I’ll need some kind of policy to cover those things.

That’s a good thing I suppose. Surely Firebase could handle that?

But it will cost you a lot of money. Maybe you should run you own server then. That may be cheaper.

Making my own server is too complicated for me. The idea is that ad revenue will pay Firebase costs.