How will the visually impaired use kodular

Does talkback not work?

Sorry, this is just a difficulty for the visually impaired when coding. I myself want to contribute to the blind community and I want to assert myself by conquering new technology. Somehow, visually impaired developers can work with lines of code. I’m sure, they are fully qualified to work like everyone else and I hope kodular will change this. I know it is very difficult to learn programming for the visually impaired because there is no IT training course for blind developers in Vietnam. So I missed my chance all this time and I believe there will be blind developers joining this issue for me to understand more about them. Thanks to the immediate difficulty, I have come to kodular to satisfy my passion. I believe, there will be a place for everyone to work together. Thanks.

1 Like

Can you share how blind people can conquer the world, how they can code, how do they learn to code? If you are a sighted person, have you ever met blind developers? This theme is great and kodular can work well with NVDA or not is thanks to their improvement. Thanks for your sharing.

2 Likes

Maybe you can ask here at the app inventor community.

I also found this
https://par.nsf.gov/servlets/purl/10063855

http://hosting.shipley.ac.uk/shipley/projectvip/

But I don’t think it’s about the components.

But from IDE.
The IDE outputs sound:
“You are in design screen”,
“In component menu”, “over component text”, “drop Component text”

At the last blockly summit there was a demonstration of using blockly for the visually impaired.

This was just a proof of concept but not fully developed.

1 Like

I tried with MIT App Inventor and I noticed they have a place to help with anything related to accessibility. However, that’s not what I want. What I want here is a professional application and it is highly compatible, can replace MIT App Inventor, kodular has done it excellently. They are always up to date with the latest that android has developed and they take great care of their users. However, those who use assistive technology such as screen readers, magnifiers, etc. cannot use and manipulate the kodular project environment. So, I need a change to suit everyone including blind people like me so that the application development time will be saved. I know google’s android studio is very good but it requires you to know the code but coding for the blind in Vietnam is very difficult. I see, there are a lot of visually impaired developers who have made a lot of great contributions. I hope kodular will be the thing that changes the way people can develop mobile apps as they please.

1 Like

App Inventor is already working on a some things like is shown in the topic i linked to. After App Inventor releases this it maybe could be merged with Kodular. But that is for the devs to decide.

I personally see, if your problem can be solved for all the visually impaired developers in the world, then this I am very grateful and I always support what you have contributed to our disability community. In Vietnam and around the world, very few people know about NVDA, jaws, narrator, voiceover,… I think, there should be a document dedicated to people using assistive technology such as screen reader, magnification, etc. … basically, kodular’s documentation doesn’t really care about accessibility and it’s hard that blind people can’t use them properly. I need a specific solution to help visually impaired people access components in kodular. I hope you will agree with my opinion.

1 Like

You’re super confident! :smiley: I hope you’ll get a better way to develop apps with Kodular.

Maybe an extension (for browsers) may make it easy…?

2 Likes

As I mentioned, perhaps the ideal would be to help with sound / audio about each block, parts of the IDE, events (when we fit one block in the other, explain "you have fitted a text in the text property of component text1) and other aids through speech / sound

When the mouse is over a component, it must warn that it can drag and when it is dragging it must warn that it is with a component and that it can now release. But, how to define the layout? It is complex, I have already taught a visually impaired class. And in terms of blocks, how do you know where to place one block in the other?
It’s complex …

1 Like

You know, microsoft power app is a great tool for amateur and professional developers. This is the new technology trend this year, it is no code and low code. So it saves time and effort for middle-class programmers and people who want to have an app for themselves. It is itself compatible with assistive technologies such as screen reader, magnifier, … so that the visually impaired can use it. You know, Microsoft is very interested in accessibility, so they invest a lot in this area. I myself was very surprised when using it, the compatibility with screen readers is very high. You can find out for yourself about it. I see, it’s Microsoft’s optimization to bring technology closer to everyone, no matter what they are. As long as they have good capacity, it’s fine. However, the reason I don’t use Microsoft power app is because the community supports very little in Vietnam and some other reasons. Currently, I am using the NVDA screen reader produced by NVAccess. It doesn’t work well on certain times. As for Apple, their goal is to put accessibility first and they think that integrating with disability is a priority because the need for access to technology for them is very high. I know they also send engineers to teach programming to blind students in the United States. I’m in Vietnam so I can’t attend this class. Apple and Microsoft both have the same goal of helping the visually impaired in particular and the disabled in general to conquer the world, master technology, and gain access to programming. They always create opportunities for others to help people like us be treated more equally. To remove barriers to disability around the world, making them digitally accessible. Google and Samsung have changed things that blind people can’t even dream of. They can use smart phones, laptops, desktops, tablets, smart TVs, smart watches, etc. However, even I don’t believe that people like me can code, that’s proud. Regarding the solution to make kodular accessible to blind people, I have not found any solution yet. I hope, everything will be resolved well, I hope you can find a suitable solution. I myself have been researching accessibility and assistive technology for many years but I can’t quite understand how kodular works with screen reader because it’s really inaccessible. I personally like to use kodular because it can extract the source code to save the text on github. This is what kodular has done that other platforms cannot do. I really admire that. This makes it possible for developers to save the source code so that it can be convenient to develop or update the application later. At the same time, if they want to make it open source, they can too. What do you think about thunkable? What makes it different from kodular? In my opinion, being able to drag and drop code blocks with the mouse is not possible for the visually impaired because they use keyboards and screen readers. This is difficult as you can imagine. But this is the truth. Is it possible to arrange the sound for each code block? This can only be experienced by visually impaired people to realize what kodular needs to do to improve. I hope you can understand the problem. Only when the visually impaired have used it can they voice their ideas. This is my first time using this platform and I don’t know what to do. I believe we will solve this problem.

1 Like

I know that blind people can code and there are many blind people who can develop websites and mobile applications. However, the problem they face here is the design of the graphical interface, ui, ux, gui, cui,… they have a hard time controlling everything because drag and drop is impossible. Screen readers by nature can’t access it, for me kodular would be a viable choice at the moment. Therefore, I think you need to come up with a specific solution so that the screen reader can work with it. I know that NVAccess will not participate in this discussion because they are outsiders by nature. THEY are not google or apple, nor are they the founders of kodular. This will bring things to a standstill and it will not be taken seriously. I need a lot of accessibility related things for it to work with NVDA in the near future. Hope you can give me your opinion.

I know this because the software I made, only worked through the keyboard (tab key, enter key and other keys to which it assigns Functionality)
F1, ctrl f1, shirt f1, alt f1 …

Why not use a screen reader chrome extension??

Welcome.
The problem is not just reading the screen. With NVDA he can read.

What I mean here is can visually impaired people develop their own software or not? that includes websites, mobile apps, pc apps,… I know it’s going to be hard but it’s probably going to be hard to believe. I need an explanation to explain how blind people can code without looking at the screen. Game development, software development in general is very difficult for the blind and I really can’t figure out what to do with those lines of code. I tried with chrome os but it’s not ok with kodular because i prefer to use NVDA on windows because it supports Vietnamese language as well as accessibility would be better. Testing the application on the emulator is also a problem when talkback is not integrated into it. I contacted google to resolve this issue. You can imagine that react native will be good when it supports the visually impaired to access through the graphical interface instead of the command line interface. Because if the accessibility API components are integrated, NVDA will be better supported. You see, WordPress did a great job in their role, but they weren’t free to customize to their liking. This is a limitation but kodular will be the solution to it. I need a more reasonable answer. I look forward to your positive feedback in this matter so that it can be better resolved.

You know, I’m visually impaired myself, so accessibility and assistive technology are very important to me because it helps me to use technology devices better, it helps me take control of my life, It helps me do what I like,… especially a screen reader, which can help me see what’s displayed on the screen and read that content. At the same time, I myself need it to check its compatibility, accessibility with products. From there, help improve them to create all conditions for people with disabilities to be able to use them more easily. Reduce barriers to disability around the world. Kodular is a great tool to help me complete a project without requiring any expertise. I think it would be good to have a common standard of access to technology for the visually impaired. In NVDA there is a feature that helps to read the content of the mouse pointer, which is Mouse tracking, this is what helps people with low vision to use the computer, but for those who have completely lost their vision, it is not easy. at all, since everything has to be interactive via the keyboard. I have to admit that kodular is a great environment for developers. In order for them to be able to make their ideas a reality, everything has to be approached unobtrusively and it will be used with screen readers like NVDA, jaws,… I find this necessary to bring them to life. equal rights for all. I think it would be better that the blocks would be accessible to the visually impaired and always compatible with screen readers. However, up to now, there is no solution to do this. You see, the problem I am talking about here is how to make the screen reader work with kodular and the visually impaired can take advantage of it in their projects. I want to do independent application development and I need to do it now so that everything will not be delayed. I know accessibility won’t be possible but anyway any issues need to be addressed in the future.

I also understand that well and I know that kodular will soon improve in accessibility, soon be compatible with assistive technology services, can help the blind to use better through the Specialized screen reader software. I know In the US, AUSTRALIA, UK, … are very interested in the blind. THEY encourage and create conditions for visually impaired people to develop equally as many other people and I really appreciate that. Helping visually impaired people to express their abilities and soon integrate into the community. They prioritize programming training for the blind, orienting them to create their own products and from there, they confidently code without any barriers. You see, the demand for human resources for the information technology industry is very high and outsourcing requires a lot of time. However, for an application to quickly keep up with the release schedule, a good tool is required. That said, kodular is important to everyone. So I needed inclusion, I needed accessibility to get things done. You see, although I’m Vietnamese, so I have the same thought as you guys in this world that I really don’t have much sympathy for the Chinese because they’re not friendly, but I have to admit one thing. The thing is that they have a lot of potential in this industry, in China there is a technology startup owned by the blind and the CEO and staff are also blind. I really admire you, I only regret that we don’t have such a company in Vietnam. This hinders the process of global integration. So I need a solution to make accessibility services work with kodular. I hope you will understand how bad everything is for the blind, everything is completely isolated. I believe, kodular will be a good platform for everyone no matter who. I hope what I share will satisfy you.

I think, kodular should extend user object. Allows amateur and professional developers to communicate with each other. At the same time, making it easier for people to understand each other and work together. Here I encourage teamwork. I want it to have unlimited advanced features including accessibility and be able to extract source code for sharing, integrated description of block content so that the visually impaired can recognize them. I need high customization. Diverse features. I know this is difficult but I hope the problem will be solved in the next update of kodular. It is very difficult for screen readers to see what kodular is displaying, so you need to customize and change a few things to make it as suitable for the visually impaired as possible. I hope this project will attract visually impaired developers to participate.